Problem with lseek call.

Top Forums Programming Problem with lseek call.
# 1  
Old 09-12-2014
Problem with lseek call.

The following code:
Code:
    int fd;

if (fd = open("mem", O_RDONLY) == -1)
        return 1;

if (lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET) == -1) {
        char *buf = malloc(512);
        buf = strerror(errno);
        printf("%s\n", buf);
        return 1;
    }

always returns with "illegal seek" error. "mem" is executable with correct permissions. Can someone point me
in the right direction? Smilie
# 2  
Old 09-12-2014
Try perror("error message prefix"), much simpler.

C is grouping your open statement like this:

Code:
if (fd = (open("mem", O_RDONLY) == -1) )

So fd becomes 1 if the file fails to open, or 0 if the file is there. It must be failing, since if it opened, == -1 it would evaluate false and quit.

By unfortunate coincidence, 1 is a valid file descriptor -- standard output. It's probably a terminal or pipe, which of course can't seek.

So either parenthesize defensively, or put the assignment outside the if-statement (usually preferred).

Last edited by Corona688; 09-12-2014 at 02:28 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 09-12-2014
Thank you! I will be more careful with parentheses next time.
This User Gave Thanks to Sir_Tomasz For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Applescript application call problem...

Hi all... I am trying to create a shell project purely for this Macbook Pro. I do NOT want to use SOX as the sampling _source_ but Quicktime instead, the idea being that NO third party installs will be needed. The code below works fine except the commented out Applescript line does not do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

2. AIX

Backup: The lseek call failed

Hi, We are facing issues while backing up our 1205 GB filesystem on LTO5 Tape. During backup the "backup: The lseek call failed." messages were generated, I want to know why these messages were generating AIX version is: 6100-08-00-0000 backup: The date of this level 0 backup is Mon Mar 11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding lseek

I tried to use lseek system call to determine the number of bytes in a file. To do so, I used open system call with O_APPEND flag to open a file. As lseek returns the current offset so I called lseek for opened file with offset as zero and whence as SEEK_CUR. So I guess it must return the number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Raj
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lseek implementation

Hi everybody, i've been googling for ages now and gotten kinda desperate... The question, however, might be rather trivial for the experts: What is it exactly, i.e. physically, the POSIX function (for a file) "lseek" does? Does it trigger some kind of synchronization on disk? Is it just for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Humudituu
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lseek() equivalent

I know there is lseek() function that will allow to write or read from certain position in the file. Is there similar function that will let do same but for array rather then file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
9 Replies

6. Programming

Hairy Problem! lseek over 4G

recently my project needs me to lseek a position over 4G size.... i found in linux or unix the parameters are all ulong 32 bits...the limit dooms the movement of a position over 4G I was told that i should lseek64 to meet my need... but i have no idea where i can get the function neither by "man... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: macroideal
8 Replies

7. Linux

system call problem

hi, where can I find the detail information about the syscall in binary instructions of linux/mips. for example, in linux/mips: li v0, 4140 syscall it's a syacall of "lseek" , but how can I find that which registers will be used in this syscall , and the meaning of the arguments in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool_08
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel call problem

hi all I want to make a kernel call which takes as input an integer x and prints 2*x Anyone who knows how could i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasa
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problem in system call

Dear Friends, I write a c program to list the directories recursively. For this I write a function called my_readdir to read the content of directory. For this I use read system call it returns -1, then I use readdir system call it gives comment terminated error or segmentation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spmlingam
1 Replies

10. Programming

lseek in c

sir, i used lssek as this lseek(fp,-10,2); i am not getting any output i dont now why can you explan sir.. Thanks in advance, Arunkumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question