Lingon Created plists for the User Template

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Lingon Created plists for the User Template
# 1  
Old 03-26-2010
Lingon Created plists for the User Template

Question for the Lingon Expert: Once I've completed creating a plist under Lingon, can the plist be directly applied to the user template in order for the changes to force the desired results, no matter who logs into the machine? (Side note: I understand Casper 7.2 has provisions for uploading plists now, and can the same in terms of changes made to a plist take place in the User Template under any user login?) It will allow me to create a launchd config under Lingon by directing the agent to 'launch only at login,' 'when the computer starts,' or 'as a Daemon' running in root.

Last edited by unimachead; 03-26-2010 at 01:10 PM..
# 2  
Old 03-30-2010
I am not sure of your question exactly....

Launchd can launch items and daemons by triggers and settings you set it to do. So, for example, you want a global start up script to run at start up, regardless if a user is logged in or not at the login window, you would want to create your plist (launchd item) and place it in /Library/LaunchDaemons, as those are system wide and execute at start up. If you want it to run whenever any user logs in, place it in /Library/LaunchAgents.

Now, lets you have a scenario that you want a script to run globally, to say execute a series of commands whenever a Mac client boots up, regardless if a user logs in or not, or if no user is logged in at all. The script containing your commands is in /Library/Scripts/startup.sh (for example).

This is what your plist would look like:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.mycompany.startup</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>/Library/Scripts/startup.sh</string>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

You would save this as com.mycompany.startup.plist for example. After you save the file to /Library/LaunchDaemons, you need to tell launchctl (launch control) to load it, permanently.

launchctl -w load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mycompany.startup.plist

Now, every time you start the Mac, it will execute that script as root via launchd. See the launchd manual for more information along with launchctl.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

To find the user who has created the file

Hi On our AIX 7.1 server we have a file named /content/development/system.tar with ownership as root. Many people on our Unix team has sudo access and they will be able to sudo to root user. We want to which particular user has actually created this file. Is it possible to find that ? Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing .plists with defaults

I've done simple edits with defaults, but they usually are the parent parameter. For example changing the value of "DateCellWidthCache" =. What if I want to change a parameter in one of the sub categories such as "MMM d, y' '",? How do I type that out at the end of my defaults write command?: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User's home directory not being created

I am trying to create Oracle user. I will install oracle after that. But my problem is /home/oracle directory is not being created. bash-3.2# useradd -g oinstall -G dba,oper -d /home/oracle -m oracle cp: /home/oracle: Operation not applicable chown: /home/oracle: No such file or directory ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubatuwang
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to figure out who created a user account?

Well, I had to open another thread. Long story but I will keep it short. Our client organization is a multinational bio-tech giant. And as it is true with all such giants, things are kind of messy when it comes to maintaining who did what. Now, my duty is to clean up the mess. One of the few... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How remove the file which was created by another user?

When I try to remove the file which was created by another user through super user, I am getting the "override protection 644 " meesage. Could you please anyone help me how will I delete the file without prmpting the override protection. I have also given the permission (rwx) to the group as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandi.reddy
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know what time one user was created?

I am using RHEL. I wan to know the creation time of one user? which command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files created by a specified user in a directory and its subdirectories

Is there a command or shell script which can be used for Finding all files created by a specified userid in a directory and its subdirectories. Say, I want to find all such files in directory /abc as well as in all the subdirectories such as /abc/xyz or /abc/xyz/pqr aqnd so on which was created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files created by particular user

How i get the all the files created by particular user?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I create user but i cant login the user i created.

I created a user, i login as a root. I add him in the group where he can access and login as a root! I checked it in users' list and in group's list, he is there. My problem is this, I cant login using the username/account I just created! What should i do to use and login the user/account i've just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question