Volume Group Understanding

Operating Systems AIX Volume Group Understanding
# 1  
Old 06-28-2006
Volume Group Understanding

Looking for help in understanding volume groups.

On the internal disks is it possible to have other volume groups other then root vg? If so would the other vg be captured in the mksysb?

Any documentation links that you can point me to on volume groups and such woudl be welcomed.

Thanks
# 2  
Old 06-29-2006
A volume group is a logical collection of "disks" and is the basic building block of logical storage in AIX. A volume group (VG) can span multiple disks, whether internal or external disks. External disks would typically SAN but could be external SCSI or probably other types too (perhaps even a USB key!) since AIX volume groups are a solid abstraction layer that allows you not to care too much about the hardware underlying the volume group. Unless of course you are the sysadmin such as myself whose day has now stretched to 15 #@*&!!! hours migrating LPARs from one machine to another, snagged by IBM's LVM layer in one setback of many.

Anyways, you can use internal disks for VG's other than rootvg, you can create any kind of user VG that you like on internal or external disks. In fact, rootvg itself doesn't need to reside on internal disk either, you can create the rootvg on a SAN disk as well, or create one that is mirrored between an internal disk and a SAN disk.

A mksysb only captures the contents of rootvg. mksysb is really just another command called savevg on steroids, it (mksysb) is used for creating a bootable image. savevg and restorevg are the commands that you want for saving and restoring non-rootvg volume groups. They in turn invoke a command called backup (/usr/sbin/backup) which essentially creates a big tar file (different format from tar of course and capable of creating files >2GB in size). Corresponding command to "backup" is "restore", which can be used to view contents of a mksysb or savevg file.

A good place to start learning about this stuff is covered in the redbooks returned if you use this link:

www.redbooks.ibm.com/cgi-bin/searchsite.cgi?query=AIX+administration

The redbooks that show up may seem rather dated but the most basic functions that AIX LVM provides have not really changed since those books were written, at least not from a sysadmin perspective. Nowadays you can have resizable volume groups and can reduce filesystems in size and a few other things not covered by those books, but getting a grip on the concepts presented and being able to perform operations found in those mauals is a good place to start.

Hope this helps >< bOOtnix
This User Gave Thanks to bootnix For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX volume group

I'm trying to change volume group of a disk, I'm setting up a PowerHa cluster and need to create a volume group named caavg_private and assigne it to hdisk3. what is the right methods (commands) of doing this? hdisk0 00f9a6dc66a06fcf None ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spiderpig
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

3. AIX

Volume group delete is not possible

Hello experts, I canīt remove the vg vgnet after Storage removal (hdisk10) AIX 7.1 TL 3 / HOMOLOG > lsvg rootvg datavg ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artur_dietrich
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

6. AIX

Adding a Volume Group to an HACMP Resource Group?

Hi, I have a 2 node Cluster. Which is working in active/passive mode (i.e Node#1 is running and when it goes down the Node#2 takes over) Now there's this requirement that we need a mount point say /test that should be available in active node #1 and when node #1 goes down and node#2 takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding group and passwd

Hi, I am checking who belong to the dba group , and found that oracle and autosys users are part of this group cat /etc/group | grep dba dba::400:oracle,autosys I thought to found user autosys under group 400 togther with user oracle , but found it in group 1000 as you can see bellow.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

8. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

9. AIX

Moving a Logical Volume from one Volume Group to Another

Does anyone have any simple methods for moving a current logical volume from one volume group to another? I do not wish to move the data from one physical volume to another. Basically, I want to "relink" the logical volume to exist in a different volume group. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisw
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question