Disks missing from /devices folder. Not sure why.

Operating Systems Solaris Disks missing from /devices folder. Not sure why.
# 1  
Old 07-21-2013
Disks missing from /devices folder. Not sure why.

Help Please!

I picked up a V440 and it has 4 disks. I installed Solaris fine to disk 3, but I cannot see the other disks in Solaris.

I have run probe-scsi-all from OBP and I see the other disks and they have names in devalias AFAIK. It's just in Solaris they do not appear. I have run devfsadm -v thinking that was the issue, to no avail. From there I looked in "/devices" and I don't see them there either. Just the path for disk3. It's as if Solaris isn't talking to the prom, so I assume I'm missing something. Mind you, I am very rusty at OBP and adding devices. The only thing that gives me pause at the moment is that disk 3 is an hitachi and the other 3 are Seagate. However, I think that's coincidence, if anything. Even so, I would have figured the Hitachi to be the odd one out, not the 3 Seagates. All are 72GB. Any ideas? I assume I'm missing something simple but I'm having trouble formulating the correct google search to find anything meaningful. Help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg
# 2  
Old 07-22-2013
check the output from raidctl -l
# 3  
Old 07-22-2013
It gives me three lines:

Code:
Controller: 1
    Disk: 0.3.0
Controller: 4

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 07-23-2013 at 03:25 AM..
# 4  
Old 07-23-2013
seems like no RAID is configured... please run probe-scsi-all again from OBP and post that output!
# 5  
Old 07-23-2013
Ok....attaching screenshots, so hopefully that works. I made sure to set auto-boot to false and reset first so it's a clean OBP. The first screen shot is of the requested probe-scsi-all. The second is devalias, in case that's of any use.

I *think* these are true Sun drives, by the IDs in the probe-scsi-all output, and I think those disk aliases are correct for those slots. There must be some crucial piece of knowledge that I am completely unaware of that bridges this gap.
Disks missing from /devices folder.  Not sure why.-image1jpg
Disks missing from /devices folder.  Not sure why.-image2jpg
# 6  
Old 07-24-2013
Looks ok to me... Here is what I would do to check the system:

- boot from cd/dvd and check the format output for all disks (if this works try next point)
- boot to single user mode from your internal disk

if none of that works:

- update ALL firmware on the machine
- reseat all drives in their slots (the V440 diskbackplane has some known issues)

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 07-25-2013 at 03:34 AM..
# 7  
Old 07-25-2013
Well, DukeNuke2, it appears to be one of these. I re-seated the drives in question and booted from the DVD I used for the O/S install and when I dropped to a prompt it was able to see the drives in the format utility. I relabeled them and booted single user. At that point devfsadm was able to add the paths unlike before and now they are usable under the O/S as expected. Smilie I didn't know the 440 drive plane was so temperamental! Now I've successfully created my first multi-disk ZFS pool and things are looking good. You were a huge help! Smilie Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to check directory and create missing folder from file

In the below bash I am trying to ensure that all folders (represented by $folders) in a given directory are created. In the file f1 the trimmed folder will be there somewhere (will be multiple trimmed folders). When that trimmed folder is found (represented by $S5) the the contents of $2 printed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
19 Replies

2. Solaris

Missing ASM Disks in Solaris 11.3 LDOM

Hi Guys, Just a quick question hopefully someone will have seen this before and will be able to enlighten me. I have been doing some Infrastructure Verification Testing and one of the tests was booting the primary domain from alternate disks, this all went well - however on restarting one of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
7 Replies

3. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 Installation - Disks missing, and Raid

Hey everyone. First, let me start by saying I'm primarily focused on linux boxes, and just happened to get pulled into building two T5220's. I'm not super educated on sun boxes. Both T5220's have 8 146GB 15k SAS drives. Inside the service processor, I can run SHOW /SYS/HDD{0-7} and they all come... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
2 Replies

5. AIX

/dev/rmt devices are missing

Hello, I attached a tape drive to one of my partitions but i cannot find the device. I run the command lsdev|grep rmt but i dont get anything in return. When i run lsslot -c slot i can see the slot number and the device that belongs to the tape drive but i cannot find any rmt files in /dev.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

6. Solaris

How to find missing disks on Sun x4150 without reboot?

Hi, Here is the issue: There are 4 disks on this Sun x4150 system under Solaris 10, but only 1 disk can be seen by the OS. I've tried commands disks and devfsadm but not working. It's an important production server, so 'reboot -r' is not a choice. # format < /dev/null Searching for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
6 Replies

7. SCO

No stp SCSI devices configured (unit 0 missing)

Hi I've done migration of my SCO 5.0.6 from SCSI to IDE hard disk and now I'm getting in X windows this message: CONFIG: No Stp SCSI devices configured (unit 0 missing) Howto configure to get this message away? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking missing files in side a folder

Dear all, Every hour i am receiving several data files to one folder for 24 hours each day.But some times some hours i do not have the files because of some problem.So i want to check the files inside the folder at the end of the day wether how many files i received in each hour like this.so i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question