T2000 - devfsadm problem

Operating Systems Solaris T2000 - devfsadm problem
# 1  
Old 01-19-2009
T2000 - devfsadm problem

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem when running devfsadm. We have many T2000, but on one of them, that is connected to our SAN, devfsadm reports no new disks. If a reconfiguration reboot is done, the system reports the new disk. But only with a reboot. We have Solaris10 installed and Veritas VxVM and emulex LPe11000-M4 (all T2000 we use have the same emulex cards and same firmware revision). We have also checked /kernel/drv/sd.conf and it is exactly the same as on all other working T2000s that use the same cX and targets and LUNs.

The output of cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev retrurns:
cfgadm: Configuration administration not supported

#cfgadm -al
Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition
c0 scsi-bus connected configured unknown
c0::dsk/c0t0d0 disk connected configured unknown
c1 scsi-bus connected configured unknown
c1::dsk/c1t0d0 CD-ROM connected configured unknown
usb0/1 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb0/2 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb1/1.1 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb1/1.2 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb1/1.3 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb1/1.4 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb1/2 unknown empty unconfigured ok

Which does not show the other controllers c4,c5
Here is the device path of two SAN disks on this system:
/devices/pci@7c0/pci@0/pci@8/fibre-channel@0/sd@4,0 and
/devices/pci@7c0/pci@0/pci@9/fibre-channel@0/sd@4,0

One other thing I would like to point out, is that we are having the exact same problem on a Sun-Fire-V245 with Solaris9. The only thing that these two servers have in common, as of our system configuration, is that the local system disks are mirrored with hardware RAID. When given the "format" command, this disk is shown as follows:
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c0t0d0 <LSILOGIC-LogicalVolume-3000 cyl 65533 alt 2 hd 16 sec 136>
/pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0/sd@0,0

Don't know if that has anything to do with this, but I thought I should mention it.

Some general information on the system:
#cat /etc/release
Solaris 10 11/06 s10s_u3wos_10 SPARC
Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Assembled 14 November 2006
#uname -a
SunOS "hostname" 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by jfotop; 01-19-2009 at 09:32 AM..
# 2  
Old 01-19-2009
should this be an answer to an open thread? if so, please give the thread link and a mod will merge the threads!

btw. for fcal devices you need the ssd driver and so the ssd.conf file not sd.conf which is for scsi devices!
# 3  
Old 01-19-2009
Sorry, this isn't an answer to any open thread (edited the first post).
Below is the output of the ssd.conf:
Quote:
> cat /kernel/drv/ssd.conf
#
# Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#
#ident "@(#)ssd.conf 1.14 03/10/07 SMI"

name="ssd" parent="sf" target=0;
name="ssd" parent="fp" target=0;
name="ssd" parent="scsi_vhci" target=0;
name="ssd" parent="ifp" target=127;
# 4  
Old 01-19-2009
did you do devfsadm -C -c disk? Then see you can see any disks under format..
post the output of iostat -En |grep Hard
/var/adm/messages -->any errors?
you should have 2 more disks on your server, if they are in use, then ok. If not, label the disk.
cd to /dev/dsk and perform ls. you should see the ext raw disks in there..

"If a reconfiguration reboot is done, the system reports the new disk. But only with a reboot. " <--- so whats the problem?
# 5  
Old 01-20-2009
If you don't see the controllers with cfgadm, it sounds like the solaris native driver isn't binding correctly to the HBAs.

You mention you have other T2000 systems, but are any others connected to the SAN and working?

What's the output of `cat /etc/path_to_inst`? Do you see "SUNW,emlxs" in there?

What's the output of `modinfo |grep eml`? Do you see something like "SunFC emlxs FCA"?

What output is seen during a reconfig boot?

We have Emulex LPe11000-S cards stuffed in V445 servers connected to EMC storage through a couple brocade switches here. We're using the Sun driver with mpxio. We're not fond of these cards, but they work.

You didn't install the emulex driver did you? We didn't have to do anything special for these cards, they just worked.
# 6  
Old 01-20-2009
The OP said that he's using emulex card however he did not provide the output that you checked for. maybe he should verify that first.Smilie
# 7  
Old 01-20-2009
ssd usually points to emulex hba's (using leadville drivers). most of the work i do is through emlxadm/emulexinfo. this is pending that utility is installed.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Fire 480 - devfsadm -C not working after replacing one of the boot disks

Our SunFire 480 - one of the boot disks failed. It is mirrored with VxVm. I followed the exact steps that is detailed in the veritas and sun guides (I can not post the URL since I don't have 5 posts yet.) After removing the failed disk, I ran devfsadm -C -c disk and it still shows the device... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
7 Replies

2. Solaris

dvd problem in T2000

hi all when i trying to give auto-boot value as false as following #eeprom auto-boot?=false it is showing as zsh: no matches found: auto-boot?=false so felt this is because of error in hard ware so i tried this #iostat -en it is showing like iostat -en ---- errors --- s/w h/w trn... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Raid problem on T2000

Hi all, First post so be gentile :) It's my first time installing Solaris on T2000 server. I have 2 72GB HD's on it. After configuring HW raid and running raidctl command I get this output: bash-3.00# raidctl -l c0t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Obi-Wan
2 Replies

4. Solaris

T2000 Server cannot power on

Hi All, I recently had issues with my new T2000 server. I purchased a new mainboard and swapped the CPU and DIMMs to the new board. Now when i power on the server im unable to do so. I get the following error: ‘SC Alert: Host system poweron failed due to fault at MB/FF_POK.' When i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Caully
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Auto boot problem on Sun T2000

Hi All I have a problem on T2000 server. bash-3.00# uname -a SunOS 5.10 aaa Generic_120011-14 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T2000After the initial solaris installation server failed to boot: Rebooting with command: boot Boot device: disk:b File and args: The file just loaded does not appear... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ouzist
1 Replies

6. Solaris

SF T2000 prtdiag problem

Hi, a couple of T2000 servers did not show the component status and the output was too short. There was a patch that needed to be installed. I also updated to the latest recommended patch cluster and OBP patch. After reboot/restart of picl, it worked ok for a couple of weeks. Then suddenly it went... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Netra T2000 /var/adm/messages problem

Hi, I have a netra t2000 running solaris 10. It is fully patched with the latest patch cluster and also patch 118833-36 and 126897-02. The SC sys_event level is set to 3. I am running a test to show hardware log status, e.g simulating a power supply failure.Hence I unplug one of te... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulemsee
3 Replies

8. Linux

devfsadm equivalent(sol) command in linux os

Hi frnds, what is the devfsadm(solaris) equivalent command in linux os? Thanks in Adv. Arjun Reddy. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunreddy3
2 Replies

9. Solaris

t2000 DNS issue

I have an issue with DNS on a solaris t2000 When I set up the zones there was an issue with the /etc/resolv.conf, I had made a typo in my DNS server. I only noticed this after creating my new zones. I have corrected this in the global zone and I am now able to ping and nslookup inthe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james dewitt
2 Replies

10. Solaris

T2000 performance issue

Hi, I have a T2000 box connected to very slow disks (EMC SAN ATA disks) by a double port hba through a fabric topology. RAID 5 (6+1) configuration. The issue is using RMAN for backup and validation psent almost twice the time than with a V880 Fire connected the same way. As with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freezer91
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question