Ghosting

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ghosting
# 1  
Old 04-28-2006
Ghosting

Hello All - Newbie here so please bear with me
I work in a lab looking after HP and AIX systems. At the moment 2 of each. I will be constantly tearing these down and putting on different OS versions as the need requires by our Customers for testing.
Question is - Is it possible to have Ghost OS images lets say on an Intel Server that I could boot from. I.e taking my pick of OS version.
If possible then great - Could some Guru here guide me through the process.
and taking into account my knowledge on Unix on HP and AIX is basic
If not possible then i apolagise for the time wasting
# 2  
Old 04-28-2006
It's possible with GRUB or LILO in a PC Linux environment, but the disks you boot from have to be locally available to the bios.

But it's an interesting really idea. HPUX versions have hardware requirements, so I don't know how you'd get around that - ie v11i might not run on that old v10 box.

What versions are you shifting to/from?
# 3  
Old 04-28-2006
Thinking about it again - how do you handle different filesystems?

For example, you would have to do a cold swap of all the data disks(s).
# 4  
Old 04-28-2006
The Ghosting server would be static so am i right in saying that so will the hardware paths in regards to the HP systems.
Hp will be more or less 11.11 and 11.23
Aix will be the 5 series since its not EOSL as of yet.

What i was thinking (and knowing me, this is dangerous) if I could point the system to boot from FTP
# 5  
Old 04-28-2006
And to note - for every install I will have to cretae my own filesystems from scratch anyway as the requirments would change per Customer
# 6  
Old 05-03-2006
IgniteUX would work for the HP side of the environment. You can boot and image across a network with ease. I have done the same with redhat, AIX no clue.
Aaron

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

1 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ghosting

Out of interest is there a ghosting type software that will pick up a UNIX fs? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question