solaris zones vs container..

Operating Systems Solaris solaris zones vs container..
# 1  
Old 08-12-2011
solaris zones vs container..

kindly share what are difference b/w solaris zones and containers....
# 2  
Old 08-12-2011
Solaris Zones , you have a single copy of the OS that is shared between the various instances. You can have some isolation on patches, with "full zone" deployments. But in the end all the zones share the same copy of the kernel. You can do resource allocations/control between the zones. They are good for development/test/uat environments. If you have a hardware issue, you would have to take outage on all zones. So in summary zones are software isolation, they look isolated because the OS provides that view.

Containers are the opposite, they can be compared in some respects to vmware. They have a control domain and run off the hypervisor. You can failover containers from one to another, online failover..etc. They are better suited to production kind environment. They are getting better and better, because oracle now wants a share of the virtualization pie and wants to compete with Vmware and Microsoft.
# 3  
Old 08-12-2011
You might refer to this comprehensive FAQs regarding Zones and Containers

Solaris Zones

No special hardware required
Single OS image
Sub-CPU resource granularity
Shared kernel, memory, file systems (configuration, resources and
management)
Solaris only (excluding Linux branded zone on x86)
CPUs can be shared
Works on all systems
Virtually unlimited partitioning (max is 8191 non-global zones)
Single system patch level
Most admin operations can be applied to all containers in a single operation
Very little performance overhead for zone infrastructure

LDoms

Sun4v systems only
Multiple OS images
Multiples of CPU granularity
Dedicated kernel, memory, file systems
Can support other OSes
CPUs can not be shared (CPUs here refers to a strand/thread)
Currently available on Tx000, T5xy0 only
Partitioning limited to number of CPUs
Multiple and different patch and release levels possible
Each LDom must be fully managed separately
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to h@foorsa.biz For This Post:
# 4  
Old 08-12-2011
Hi man I'm a Solaris Admin so this is my experience.

In Solaris Zones and Containers are almost the same thing. In Solaris 8 and 9 Zones where called containers. In Solaris 10 and later the term zone was used instead. Zones are a form of visualization & isolation. Best practice is to set up a Host called a Global Zone. The global zone then hosts one or more "Full Root", "Sparse Root" or "Branded" zones.
-Full root is a full Solaris install without any shared files.
-A sparse zone has 4 directory's that it shares with the global zone.
-Banded zones are zone that may not share anything with the global. A branded zone might be a Solaris 9 hosted on Solaris 10, or it can also be a Linux distro hosted on the global zone.

I hope this helps
# 5  
Old 08-12-2011
wow... some of the answers are soooo wrong it hurts... please start here for all the basic Q&A:

Zones and Containers FAQ (Community Group zones.faq) - XWiki
This User Gave Thanks to DukeNuke2 For This Post:
# 6  
Old 08-12-2011
Quote:
Containers are the opposite, they can be compared in some respects to vmware
Oops, I think I meant to write LDOM and wrote the word containers. Ignore my commentary Smilie, lol..I guess I should pay more attention.
# 7  
Old 08-12-2011
This might be useful

Below is pdf from Sun on how to set up zones and with containers.
http://learningsolaris.com/docs/ContainersLowRes.pdf

I hope this helps
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Migration of Solaris 10 on physical host to Solaris Zones

Hi All Kindly let me know how can I move Solaris 10 OS running update 10 on physical machine to another machine solaris zone running Solaris 10 update 11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Differences of Solaris zone and Solaris Container

Hi everyone! I am in dire need to know what are the differences between a solaris zone and a solaris container.. Explanations over the net are very confusing. Please help. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris container date diference

Hi people, I dont have a real problem, its also a so strange issue. When i connect to my system from a ssh session or telnet normaly from putty and execute the command "date" its show me the correctly time in BRT format for root and all other users. But when i connect from the global... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymouzz
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Memory usage in a Solaris Container

Hi All, We have a server with Solaris 10 installed. The total memory of the server is 64GB. In order to check the memory info of the server I use "top" utility that gives me total and free memory in real-time. I have also installed a Sun container (non-global zone) on top of parent operating... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slayer
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 container graceful shutdown?

Hi, I've got a UPS connected to my Solaris 10 machine and I'm planning to run containers/zones on there. At the moment if the UPS agent sends the signal to the solaris machine to shutdown, all the apps shutdown gracefully and then the host goes down. If I setup containers for the apps, does... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastexit
9 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage, free and used, using sar, top and vmstat in Solaris zone/container

Hi all, I have a server running an Oracle database that is part of a Solaris M5000 container. Presumably this is referred to as a zone within a cluster, not sure if I get the terminology right. Anyway, a third-party manages the zone and unfortunately is not "helpful/friendly" to assist me on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager

I need to know how to Manage Solaris services (SMF) in sparse zone with Solaris container manager. I have navigated all the documentation and I have not found any clue. I installed the Sun management center (SMC) server on a server box and the agents on others. I can manage the SMF of the global... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 6 container support

Is solaris 6 container support available ? Say, If I have a machine with Solaris 10 operating system.. Can i install Solaris 6 container on this machine, so that the machine will have Solaris 6 virtual environment... Does sun support Solaris 6 container ? Any ideas over this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 8 Container Error

Log File: /var/tmp/server1.install.18730.log Source: /vmpool/tmp/server1.flar Installing: This may take several minutes... Postprocessing: This may take several minutes... Postprocess: ERROR: p2v module S40_setup_preload failed: 0 Postprocess: ERROR: Postprocessing failed. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cornsnap
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Cant priocntl within solaris 10 non global container

Hello ! Can anybody help me with the following: my sparc server ( solaris 10 06/07) has 1 global and 4 non-global zones running we are using one of the non-global-zones for a jboss application server we want to levitate the JBOSS process within the non_global_zone with: < priocntl -s -c FX -p... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moofoo
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question