Old 07-01-2010
Code:
nslookup IP_ADDRESS

or
Code:
dig -x IP_ADDRESS

# 3  
Old 07-01-2010
sorry this command was not showing DNS address..

Can you please assist.
# 4  
Old 07-01-2010
What do you mean by DNS address? DNS server IP address?
# 5  
Old 07-01-2010
for this ip address 10.35.25.170 dns name is uiiwls06vp.nat.bt.com.

if i give DNS name (dig uiiwls06vp.nat.bt.com ) , i wil get IP address of specified DNS name.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;uiiwls06vp.nat.bt.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
uiiwls06vp.nat.bt.com. 600 IN A 10.35.25.170

but i need DNS name based on IP address.
# 6  
Old 07-01-2010
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that what you are trying to do is retrieve the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) using rDNS (Reverse Domain Name Service.

I note that you are trying to do reverse DNS on a private network i.e. 10.X.X.X. Unless you have configured reverse DNS for the private network, it is not going to work.
# 7  
Old 07-01-2010
If, by chance, you are specifically trying to find the external URL for your present internet connection,
execute this:

Code:
curl jackson.io/url/

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What determines DNS will query IPV6 address?

When I do simple nslookup it does not generate any query for IPV6 (AAAA). But sometimes I see DNS query for both A and AAAA are generated. What decides this? The reason I do not want AAAA query is in most of the cases AAAA records are absent. Hence, if one DNS server fails, the clients keeps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: broy32000
1 Replies

2. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi, I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6333/12234.png How to configure this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns at same time

Is there a command that can lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns all at the same. I know ifconfig can lookup ip address and subnet mask. I know route -n can lookup gateway. Not sure about a dns command. So I hope there is a way to lookup ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns all at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

trying to configure DNS address in Solaris

hi to all. I'm trying to use the sendmail command to generate some reports and I cant use it. The mails i try to send simply won't go out, instead I receive a response from the system sayng that the host is unknown. I think the problem is in the DNS configuration (or the IMAP/SMTP servers). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldrojasm
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question