System Startup Time

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers System Startup Time
# 1  
Old 03-16-2006
System Startup Time

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to find the System Startup time.

Currently I am using "who -b" to get last reboot time.

I wanted to know is there any log file for SCO Openserver 5, in which all this sort of imformations are kept.

I have tried searching the forum with words like "WHO Command" but being very commonly used word, it is not giving me any specific o/p.

Best Regards

Shoeb
# 2  
Old 03-16-2006
Try the commands w or uptime. A sneaky way is to look at the start time for init which must be pid 1...
ps -fp 1
# 3  
Old 03-16-2006
It's a couple of years since I used SCO Openserver but I'm pretty sure that the system log was /usr/adm/messages (or maybe var/adm/messages) and this contained detailed startup/shutdown messages as well as lots of interesting alerts in between.

cheers
# 4  
Old 03-17-2006
System uptime

Thanks Perderabo and thestevew,

I am sorry but I am not able to get the startup time with the commands you have suggested Perderabo, My O/p of the commands are somewhat cryptic to me.

ps -fp 1 is giving me STIME as 17:58:24 which is ofcourse my shutdown time and TIME as 0:00:00.

w & uptime are giving me current time with a notation of up for so many min. Like 9:13 am up 16 mins,

I think I have to do calculations to find out exact startup time.

Just for my knowledge, is using "who -b" is not correct to get the startup time.

Thestevew, I have checked both the files you have mentioned in your post, both exist but nothing written in it.

Hope you people will not get annoyed to put some more light on the issue.

Best Regards

Shoeb
# 5  
Old 03-17-2006
STIME is the start time for the process. init starts at boot-up time.
# 6  
Old 03-17-2006
You can get the last reboot time for your server by running the command:
Code:
last reboot | head -1

Assuming that you haven't been fiddling with the utmp/wtmp files then you should get the last time you rebooted your server.
# 7  
Old 03-17-2006
System uptime

Thank for your quick replies,

I am sorry Perderabo for my ignorance about the def of STIME, but STIME which is 17:58 is not my startup time, I booted my system at 8:58 in the morning and it is showing 17:58. God only knows why it is not updating it.

blowtorch, my "last reboot" command is just giving me headings, nothing else.

One more thing, can anyone of you tells me where System Log files are kept in SCO Openserver 5.0.5.

Thank you all for your sincere efforts.

Best Regards

Shoeb

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Process dies when launched in system startup script

Good morning! I'm trying to add Maven to the system boot by the moment without success. Testing the operation of the script I realize that the process isn't persistent when the program is launched with the start option. ---- #Startup Script ---- #! /bin/sh # chkconfig: 345 99 1 #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: carpannav
5 Replies

2. Solaris

System time and Cron time stamp not matching

On Solaris 10 server the system date won't match with the timestamp on files created by a cron jobs, Please help here is what i get when i check for system date infodba-ie10ux014:/tcpdv1_ie10/tcadmin/bin\n\r-> date Tue Apr 24 15:27:43 GMT 2012at same time i executed a cron job, and checked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karghum
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete files at booting of system (system startup)

hi all I have a problem how to write a shell script which delete files/folder form directory whenever system boot and copy last updated folder/file in the specified directory.pse help me ASAP. i write a script which copy files in directory.I want when system boot up using script it check whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Mountall error at system startup

Hi I have SVM on my Solaris 10 5/08 SPARC with the following configuration: d1: Mirror Submirror 0: d11 State: Okay Submirror 1: d12 State: Okay Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

System time comparison to fixed defined time

I have a requirement of checking the current system time and performing certain actions in a shell script. example: if the current system time is greater than 1400 hrs, then perform step 1,2,3 if the current system time is greater than 1000 hrs, then perform step 1,2 if the current system time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainravi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding System Vish startup scripts

I'm trying to get a clear picture of how startup scripts are executed during bootup. When run-level N is entered, the scripts in /rcN.d are executed. I understand that the S* scripts are executed in numerical order during bootup. What I don't understand is if the K* scripts are executed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkmatter14B
0 Replies

7. SuSE

Executing set of sh files at system startup

Hi Everybody I am totally new to Linux. We are using Suse Linux version 9. Currently we have 4 to 5 shell scripts which needs to be executed manually by the users.I want these scripts to be run automatically when system starts...something like system startup service. When system is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: appleforme1415
1 Replies

8. Solaris

stop a process to start at system startup

Hi all! I'm running Solaris 10 and have a question about how i can stop a certain program to start at system startup,for example, as it is now sendmail is starting but i don't need sendmail,on the other hand so would i be very glad to get cups up and running at startup, anyone who can explain where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larsgk
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 5.3: Start Service on System startup

Hi, I'm new to AIX, and have to make some services start at system startup. The IBM-Redbook says I have to edit /etc/inittab. As a long time (Debian)-Linux Admin I'm a bit confused. Is there something like /etc/init.d/$SERVICE in AIX? Greetings, Dennis (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dennis.kuehl
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I add my own service when system startup?

Hi All, My OS is redhat 7.1. How can I start my own service (e.g. simple scripts) when the system is started? I found something like /etc/rc.d, /etc/rc.init ... But I have no idea on them, have anyone can help me? regards wilson (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question