SFU/NFS question

Operating Systems HP-UX SFU/NFS question
# 1  
Old 07-11-2007
SFU/NFS question

I am new in UNIX so pardon me if I am asking this question. We are using SFU in Windows to have a Windows folder mounted over UNIX. While we can see the mount, everytime i cd on the mounted folder (e.g. cd CONFIG) I always get Permission denies error. Does anyone know why I cannot go inside the mounted folder?
# 2  
Old 07-11-2007
At first guess, I would say the current user does not have the required permissions.

Can you clarify..

1. you have a directory on your windows system

2. you are sharing it with SFU NFS

3. you cannot 'cd' into it from a Windows command prompt?

4. did you set up SFU's group and user mappings?
# 3  
Old 07-11-2007
Thanks for the reply. Here are further details

1. We have Config folder in Windows Server. In this server, we have Services for Unix installed and have configured username mapping. In fact, everything was working before and not really sure what happened and why we have the "permission denied" issue now.

2. From a UNIX server, this Windows Config folder is mounted.

3. When log in to the UNIx server, I can see the Config folder. However, whenever i "cd" or go inside the Config folder, I am encountering "Permission Denied" error.

As an additional question, do i need to have the zzInterix service in Windows started in order for the SFU/NFS to work properly. Whenever I start this service, I get cannot connect to Interix Subsystem error.

I hope someone can help me because I've been working on this issue for some time now.
# 4  
Old 07-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolas
When log in to the UNIx server, I can see the Config folder. However, whenever i "cd" or go inside the Config folder, I am encountering "Permission Denied" error.
From the UNIX server do the following...

show what your id and groups are...

$ id

show what the directories rights are...

$ ls -ld Config
# 5  
Old 07-11-2007
id:
uid=19541(ariba) gid=10077(ariba)

ls -dl config
drwx------ 2 nobody nogroup

Thanks!
# 6  
Old 07-11-2007
As you can see

(a) you are not "nobody"

(b) you are not in the group "nogroup"

(c) and none of the world and group bits are set

As I mentioned before, have you configured the user and group mappings in SFU? If so you could then change the ownership of the directory to something more useful, ie, do it from within SFU.
# 7  
Old 07-11-2007
Thanks Porter. I have already configured SFU from the Windows side. I have a local Windows account that is mapped through username mapping to a Unix user know as "ariba". Is there anything else that needs to be done on the Windows side, or in Unix server?

Thanks again!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS question when you have a subdirectory that you don't want to be shared?

I have a somewhat interesting problem, we've decided to load balance a java application and as such I'll be running our application on four physical machines as opposed to the single machine it's currently running on. I've centralized the directory that the application requires (including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xdawg
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Quick NFS question

Hello, I have a quick question. How do you know which protocol version of NFS is setup on your Solaris 10 servers? Example 2, 3 or 4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

SFU and NFS issues

Hi, I support a small lab of older HP UX 9 and 10 boxes. We have some older NT 4.0 machines at each UX box, with a old ZFS Server programs hosting two mounted directories. (Each UX and NT machine is on its own private network via crossover cable). Due to hardware failure/support EOL on NT, I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the spyder
3 Replies

4. Solaris

NFS question

How do I get directories form remote server " A " mounted to server B? Please provide the necessary steps. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam101
1 Replies

5. Solaris

NFS- share drive question

Ok. Here is the situation, I have server A which need to access /tmp folder of server B. Can I mount NFS share (/tmp) from client (serverA)?please let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam101
3 Replies

6. Linux

NFS file handle question

Hello All, I have a small question regarding the NFS file handles. Suppose I have a NFS client who has requested for a particular file from the NFS server.Now lets assume that I am using a NFS v2 server. So I get the filehandle for that file and I can use it. Suppose later I upgrade the server to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathamesh
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFU awk help

hi guys i am trying using this awk command which works perfectly on unix awk '$1>=dt' dt="2007-12-03" filename but when i run same command for same file under SFU it does nothing simply prints the file ( just like cat command ) i am not getting why ? any way i used sed for same ( little... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

a question on NFS

Can I always stat a file which is NFS mounted. Will the results always show up and make sense ? File size, blocks, access time etc ? Will we always be able to get that information for an NFS mounted file. I mean, that file is sitting on a remote system right.. which can be any system.. EMC or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
3 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

FTP using SFU

I'm trying to ftp a file from Solaris to Windows XP Pro using SFU and the command that I used is as follows: ftp -n “host” << cmd user “loginname” “password” cd Directory ls filename error bye cmd If the filename does not exist, it shows the following output: Output to local-file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
2 Replies

10. SCO

NFS Question

I am very new to Unix. Is it possible to setup a NFS share on a Sco Unix server that could be accessable by a Windows 2003 server? If so could someone point me in the right direction with either the commands or documentation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Johnd
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question