syslog log_from_remote=false, port 514 problem

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users syslog log_from_remote=false, port 514 problem
# 1  
Old 05-24-2007
syslog log_from_remote=false, port 514 problem

Mine is solaris 10. (5.10)

I want to stop syslog daemon listening on port 514, so that my application can do the same to modify the incoming events.

I did the following -

# svccfg -s svc:/system/system-log setprop config/log_from_remote = false
# svcadm refresh svc:/system/system-log

Now I tried the following -

# ps -ef | grep -i syslog
root 21892 247 0 15:05:38 pts/6 0:00 grep syslog
root 8416 1 0 May 22 ? 0:01 /usr/sbin/syslogd
#
#
#
# pfiles 8416 | grep 514
#
#
# netstat -aP udp | grep syslog
*.syslog Idle
#

Which shows syslog is active listeneing for remote events. But why did pfiles failed to show 514.. also "pfiles 8416" didn't have any SOCK fd's..
So application still fails to bind it. I've waited for 30 min, 2 hours and entire day, my application was still unable to bind to this post. It cannot be hanging for so long, if at all it was used by some application earlier.
I used sockopt() REUSEADDR also. This makes bind successful, but the application doesn't receive any data..

Questions -
1. Know the process which is using port 514.. i tried - pfiles and lsof
2. Are these 2 config lines -
# svccfg -s svc:/system/system-log setprop config/log_from_remote = false
enough to make syslog stop reading remote events, in-turn not binding to port 514. as "-t" option also doesn't work with Solaris 10.

Last edited by pawan_marwar; 05-24-2007 at 07:39 AM..
# 2  
Old 05-24-2007
Futher observations -

If i try the following -

1. #svccfg
svc> select system/system-log
svc:/system/system-log> setprop config/log_from_remote = false

Here there's no "config" file/folder already present which would save the option - "log_from_remote "

2. When I tried typing the command ( no pasting as i did earlier), again folder
"system-log" was missing, in the very first command.

# svccfg -s svc:/system/system-log setprop config/log_from_remote = true
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to find port number wwn of particular port on dual port HBA,?

please find the below o/p for your reference bash-3.00# fcinfo hba-port HBA Port WWN: 21000024ff295a34 OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c2 Manufacturer: QLogic Corp. Model: 375-3356-02 Firmware Version: 05.03.02 FCode/BIOS Version: BIOS: 2.02; fcode: 2.01;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
3 Replies

2. SCO

Problem finding what is using a serial port

How can I determine what process is currently using a serial port? A good bit of google searching hasn't turned up anything useful, but it seems like there has to be a way to do this without too much difficulty. When I first started looking into this problem, I assumed that when a port was in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsnatl
2 Replies

3. Linux

SYSLOG.CONF another port

Hi everybody, i have a little problem... I have two server srv01 and srv02. srv02 have a syslogd server onboard and listen on 515... not on 514 (it's busy). How i configure the syslog.conf of srv01 for send logs on srv02:515 ??? Now i have on srv01: *.* @srv02 if i write: *.* ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zio Bill
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Serial port problem

I am working with solaris 9 sparc and I want to connect physical device in serial port but when I am connecting it,It is showing the error window saying-- So can any1 tell me the reason or is there any package I have to add to work with serial port??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is it always false?

Hi, I'm new to UNIX and am trying to learn shell scripting in order to work on an interface that I inherited when a co-worker left. I need to be able to check to see whether a file exists to determine whether the FTP has taken place, but in testing, the if statement always evaluates as false,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeffR
3 Replies

6. Programming

problem while having a communication with serial port?????

hello, I am gettin problem while sending and recieving data through seial port... when I am sending Data then the reciever end is not able to recieve that data ..... Reciever end is running in infinite loop just polling after some time to check that there is data on the port and then again... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Logcheck (Port Sentry) problem

Greetings! Logcheck is installed on a Solaris sparc machine running Solaris 10. It (Logcheck) is being driven by a scheduled cron job and it works as it is supposed to. However, I am having a problem getting it to work whenever I try to add a rule to the /usr/local/etc/logcheck.violations... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
0 Replies

8. Programming

Problem regarding serial port and multithreading

hello, I am creating a application in which I first open the serial port and then create the thread..for reading the data comming through that serial port. from that same thread I create another thread that is write thread means for writing on the serial port... I am continously polling again... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

tcp problem with port

I am trying to connect via DBACCESS and Informix server to a server on a different computer. When I execute the connect command from dbaccess I get the following message, Exec format error cannot bind a name to the port. As far as I know the port is not being used by another client. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lopez
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question