True or false ? - Sun cluster 3.2 U3 questions...

Operating Systems Solaris True or false ? - Sun cluster 3.2 U3 questions...
# 1  
Old 12-09-2009
True or false ? - Sun cluster 3.2 U3 questions...

I'm using clustered zones on my machine. i'm only at the test phase of my design and ultimately the oracle zones will be using VxVM.

When the testing phase is complete, VxVM will be used in the containers. It is necessary for VxVM to run in the global zone for the containers to use it (is that true?).

I read (not on Sun docs) that SVM has to be installed regardless of VxVM being used, when using SC3.2, is true?

When using clustered zones how will the cluster deal with the VxVM filesystems when a zone fails over to another global zone server?
frustin
# 2  
Old 12-09-2009
i can tell that SVM is allways part of a solaris installation since solaris 9. can't answer the rest of your questions...

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 12-10-2009 at 05:56 PM..
# 3  
Old 12-10-2009
I have a similar configuration setup, but we are using VCS instead of SC.

Quote:
It is necessary for VxVM to run in the global zone for the containers to use it (is that true?).
Yes, Veritas volume manager runs in the global zone

Code:
# zlogin -l erice0x fcprod
# vxprint -ht
VxVM vxprint ERROR V-5-1-11110  Please execute this operation in global zone

Quote:
SVM has to be installed regardless of VxVM being used, when using SC3.2, is true?
In what context does SC require SVM? That seems hard to believe.

Quote:
When using clustered zones how will the cluster deal with the VxVM filesystems when a zone fails over to another global zone server?
We use cluster software, VCS, to mount and umount vxfs file systems into local zones the same way we mount and umount vxfs file systems in global zones. We simply specify the mount point as a directory inside the local zone.

Code:
From the global zone...
# df -hZ -F vxfs
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/FCTIPROD_dg/FCTIPROD_vol
                        46G    10G    34G    23%    /zones/fctiprod/root/FCTIPROD
/dev/vx/dsk/HISTDW1P_dg/HISTDW1P_vol
                       100G    81G    18G    83%    /zones/histdw1p/root/HISTDW1P
/dev/vx/dsk/FCPROD_dg/FCPROD_vol
                       849G   701G   147G    83%    /zones/fcprod/root/FCPROD
/dev/vx/dsk/FCPROD_dg/backup_vol
                       749G   663G    81G    90%    /zones/fcprod/root/backup

From one of the local zones...
# zlogin fcprod
# df -h -F vxfs
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/FCPROD                849G   701G   147G    83%    /FCPROD
/backup                749G   663G    81G    90%    /backup

# 4  
Old 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by erice
you need some kind of volume managment if you use hastorage. so it is vxvm, svm or zfs. if you don't switch storage from one node to another you won't need volume management...
# 5  
Old 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by erice

We use cluster software, VCS, to mount and umount vxfs file systems into local zones the same way we mount and umount vxfs file systems in global zones. We simply specify the mount point as a directory inside the local zone.
Firstly thanks for getting back to me, those commands have corroborated some of the assumptions i have been making.

I think the SVM package is installed anyway (by default), at this stage I dont think it's important I just wanted to verify for the benifit of my documentation.

what i have is:

Legacy database domains (on a 15K) we are migrating to branded zones, on two M5000's.

Those systems currently use VxVM. When they've been migrated to zones they'll still need the VxVM (on the global zone) to run. The containers themselves will be built on ZFS SAN. The oracle data groups are all mounted on UFS filesystems, because we all know; branded zones cant mount ZFS.

Sun cluster 3.2 using HA containers will be installed to the global zones.

What i need to know is: if a container fails over to the other global zone, what do i need to manually share with both of those servers, from a VxVM point of view, to enable that container to come back up?

I understand that SC will move the container over to the other global zone. Though, it wont be able to boot back up and mount it's filesystems if that global zone doesnt know about the others VxVM configuration, regarding the failed over container. So what do i need to do to ensure that happens?
frustin
# 6  
Old 12-10-2009
Quote:
what do i need to manually share with both of those servers
VxVM won't share the SAN disks between servers, you will have to zone both servers at the switch. If you want to manually swing the disks after the disks are shared, simply vxdg deport, and then vxdg import the disks. I think you probably want to automate this process with the cluster software, and I believe the documentation you need is at this site below...

How to Register a Disk Group as a Device Group (Veritas Volume Manager) (Sun Cluster System Administration Guide for Solaris OS) - Sun Microsystems
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output checker setting variable to TRUE or FALSE

Hi All, I'm trying to come up a way to check the output of some data i have. I need to be able to check for the order of the output and if its correct set a variable to false if it isnt. Currently the data is in the below format, this is the value which should cause the variable be set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun cluster 4.0 - zone cluster failover doubt

Hello experts - I am planning to install a Sun cluster 4.0 zone cluster fail-over. few basic doubts. (1) Where should i install the cluster s/w binaries ?. ( global zone or the container zone where i am planning to install the zone fail-over) (2) Or should i perform the installation on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVA
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun cluster and Veritas cluster question.

Yesterday my customer told me to expect a vcs upgrade to happen in the future. He also plans to stop using HDS and move to EMC. Am thinking how to migrate to sun cluster setup instead. My plan as follows leave the existing vcs intact as a fallback plan. Then install and build suncluster on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Cluster

Hi All I hav working knowledge on solarois 10. Could anyone suggest me any doc or material for learning SUN cluster from scratch. Anything from basic level . Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ningy
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris cluster few questions

Today I downloaded Sun Cluster and I want to know more from someone experinced how much good is it that toy. Yes I also downloaded a documentation and I will read it but I want to know your experience so shoot . Probaly Jillagre has a few good stories . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

6. Solaris

scconf crash: registering a Veritas local disk on Sun Cluster (localonly=true)

Hi all, I want to put a local disk on a Sun Cluster node but scconf command explodes :eek: My system: * two node cluster on two VMWare virtual machines * Solaris 10 SunOS 5.10 Generic_141415-05 i86pc i386 i86pc * Sun Cluster 3.2 u2 * Veritas Volume manager The situation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gxmsgx
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Serviceguard Cluster Questions..

Hi, I'm fairly new to HP-UX. I am trying to find out if it is possible to create a cluster with 3 active nodes and 1 passive node. Everything I have found online so far just describes active/active and active/passive. Is it possible to have 3 active nodes and 1 passive node in a cluster? If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DtbCollumb
2 Replies

8. High Performance Computing

SUN Cluster Vs Veritas Cluster

Dear All, Can anyone explain about Pros and Cons of SUN and Veritas Cluster ? Any comparison chart is highly appreciated. Regards, RAA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAA
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interesting TCL behavior: 007 == 7 is true; 008==8 is false.

Hi all, If anyone has the explanation for the following issue, please share it with me. I am comparing two variable a and b with the values of 007 and 7, for these values it get evaluated as True. For a=008 and b=8, for these values it get evaluated as false. #!/bin/tclsh set a 007 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question