xterm or terminal profile

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers xterm or terminal profile
# 1  
Old 07-06-2007
CPU & Memory xterm or terminal profile

Hi all

I want to customize my terminal or xterminal profile for background color font color and font face etc. As far as I know for login .profile must be placed on top your home directory and I did it and worked.

But I am not sure for terminal; what is the name of profile that I've to modify ?
# 2  
Old 07-06-2007
I use open Suse 10.2 by the way...
# 3  
Old 07-06-2007
Xterm color

Hi,
If you execute the command
xtrem -bg black -fg green
it would help in changing the color, u can specify the font name too,

RUV
# 4  
Old 07-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvrakesh
Hi,
If you execute the command
xtrem -bg black -fg green
it would help in changing the color, u can specify the font name too,

RUV
thanks uvrakesh , but actually I am looking for a config file name like ~/.profile for login setup.. I am not sure it is maybe .xsession or something because there is no default under my user in Suse 10.2
# 5  
Old 07-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xramm
thanks uvrakesh , but actually I am looking for a config file name like ~/.profile for login setup.. I am not sure it is maybe .xsession or something because there is no default under my user in Suse 10.2
i think ,if you use xterm or something else, you may configure the xterm program configure file, the .profile no contain this config option.
# 6  
Old 07-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarx
i think ,if you use xterm or something else, you may configure the xterm program configure file, the .profile no contain this config option.
yes u r right, I just looking for the name of this default configure file.Do you know ?
# 7  
Old 07-09-2007
~/.Xdefaults

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.profile file on each terminal

Hello All, I create an oracle user, on my Solaris OS. i modified my .profile file on the oracle home. the problem that each time i want my variables to work, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE ... i have to run the .profile file (. ./.profile) and each time i exit the terminal i have to run again so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beayni33
7 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename Xterm terminal in VNC session

Hi All, We are using VNC viewer to login to remote server. Remote server is running with Red Hat linux 3.0. Our problem is, we are unable to rename xterm terminal so is there any way we can rename? Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable inputs. Regards, Bachegowda (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoke Terminal Without Profile

Hey, I need to open a terminal via a shell script, but i need it to not read any of the start up files. So far I was thinking something along the lines of this but it was unsuccessfull !#bin/sh /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal --noprofile any ideas on how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meskue
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

9. Programming

How to toggle BACKSPACE/DEL function for backArrow key for terminal other than xterm?

Hi all, I've got the problem which I can't resolve with my knowledge :) For xterm terminal we have resource class XTerm*backarrowKey. If we set it to true, backspace code (ASCII 0x8) will be sent to program. We can get it using e.g. getc() function. If it is disabled getc() returns DEL(0x7F). ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmitryb
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question