Man pages list, script or not?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Man pages list, script or not?
# 1  
Old 03-14-2012
Man pages list, script or not?

I am a beginner in Unix/Linux and I am wondering how can I have all the "man pages" options listed with the possibility of selecting the desired man page number. Do I need to write a script for that?
e.g.
$ man cp
Man: find all matching manual pages
* cp (1)
cp (1p)
Man: What manual page do you want?
Man:

Also, I installed all the versions of man pages in my Fedora by running"yum install man-pages". Any suggestion would be appreciated.
# 2  
Old 03-14-2012
Code:
man man

Will tell you all...
# 3  
Old 03-14-2012
Before I post my question I read that and to be honest I am in a bit of rush. I skimmed through the manual page for man but couldn't find this answer! would you please give me more details or tell me what option to use?
I used " man -a <command>" and didn't like it. I want a list of different options.
Thanks Smilie
# 4  
Old 03-14-2012
all the man pages options:
Code:
man(1)                                                                  man(1)

NAME
       man - format and display the on-line manual pages

SYNOPSIS
       man  [-acdfFhkKtwW]  [--path]  [-m system] [-p string] [-C config_file]
       [-M pathlist] [-P pager] [-B browser] [-H htmlpager] [-S  section_list]
       [section] name ...

There is no *then can select the desired man page number", it is not like a book with an index... its a online documentation of a command therefore you type man <command> in ordinary usage, if you want a manual ( undestand book) then there are plenty on the market, look in the "dummies" FAQ...

You would usually find the man pages on a linux at /usr/share/man
If you go in /usr/share/man/man1 you will find here all the users unix/linux commands manuals...

Last edited by vbe; 03-14-2012 at 01:40 PM..
# 5  
Old 03-14-2012
If you have it, there's the apropos command, which will list man pages listed as containing that title.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Listing certain man pages

How would I go about making a list of all man pages beginning with the letter "a"? I have tried: man a* man * man man {a}* man {a*} man "a*" man 'a'* man 'a*' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Man pages for Pthreads

"how to see the man pages related to pthreads". while executing the command man pthread_t . im getting the following error!!!!! No manual entry for pthread. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthukumar U
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Looking for some man pages.

Can anyone supply me with the man pages for: omnidatalist omnibarlist omnisap.exe I prefer the source man pages in nroff format. A clue about the software bundles which supply these man pages is fine as well. OS: HP-UX TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb008
11 Replies

4. Solaris

MAN PAGES

Hi everyone, I have a small query, in solaris the man pages get displayed on half of the terminal , can i get a full terminal or full screen display ?:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M.Choudhury
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

When reading man pages, I notice that sometimes commands are follwed by a number enclosed in parenthesis. such as: mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. What exactly does this mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi folks, I want to know all the commands for which man pages are available. How do i get it? Cheers, Nisha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages query....

Hello,,, can I use any command in order to be able to see man pages,,, page per page instead for running too fast???:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spyros
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi, I've written now a man pages, but I don't knwo how to get 'man' to view them. Where have I to put this files, which directories are allowed?? THX Bensky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages creating

Hi, I wnat to create my own man pages, but I can't find a good description of the troff language. Knows somebaody a good docu including examples?? Thx Bensky (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages

Hello , I just installed openssh in my system . I actually tried to man sshd but it says no entry , though there is a man directory in the installation which have the man pages for sshd . Can anyone tell me how should i install these man pages . DP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question