UFSDUMP & UFSRESTORE problems

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UFSDUMP & UFSRESTORE problems
# 1  
Old 02-13-2005
UFSDUMP & UFSRESTORE problems

Hi, guys !
I need some expert help on following problem:
When trying to restore content of a machine using another backup machine using Ufsdump/Ufsrestore, it worked on /local1, but when attemting to do the same on /local2,/local3 and /local4, I get permission problems.
Running superuser does not help.

Could anybody suggest what I could do ? My machine's /local2,/local3 and /local4 are empty and need to be restored from that other machine asap.

THanks !
Dennis
Smilie
# 2  
Old 02-13-2005
People may need more info if they are to help you. What OS are you using? What command line did you try? What exact error message do you see? Also, what does:
df -n /local2
display?
# 3  
Old 02-15-2005
More information on this topic:
I use Solaris 8 OS.

Here is output of 'df -n /local2' as requested.
/local2 : ufs

Disk appears to be clean.

Have also tried to TAR commands instead of UFSdump/restore, an no combinations of these commands could help to copy for example local 2:

Here is an example of command:
tar cf - . | ( cd /target_machine/local2; tar xvfp - ) & tar cf - . | ( cd /target_machine/local2; tar xvfBp - ).

All commands tried fail with a permission error.
What can I do about it ?

Thanks, Dennis
# 4  
Old 02-15-2005
Have you tried touch a file in those partitions? If you can't even create a file, the extract of ufsrestore or tar won't work - check your permissions on both servers for those filesystems.
# 5  
Old 02-17-2005
Hi, thanks for the answer.
What I don't understand is that I am supposed to have full permissions to the disks and this should not be happenning.
When I am trying to create a file by using "touch", I can do it being superuser, but not a regular user.
What do I do next ? Thanks !
Smilie
# 6  
Old 02-17-2005
try chmod 777 for now. after you restore, you can go back to your old perms.
# 7  
Old 02-18-2005
Will try that, but doubt that it can resolve the problem. I also need write permission for other users than superuser in the future.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO 6.0 & VMware problems

I've moved a physical server over to VMWare ESXi 5.1 using SCO 6.0 with MP4. For whatever reason, people are occasionally getting kicked out or are closing out their telnet session and it is leaving their processes running. When this happens, the sar %idle drops from 98-95% down to 25-20%. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Carlitos71
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo & sed problems

I need a script to to instert the following line into my postfix master.cf file: flags=Rq user=filter argv=/etc/postfix/disclaimer -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}if I use echo I get the line truncated: :~ echo flags=Rq user=filter argv=/etc/postfix/disclaimer -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup

hi, was wondering if there is a problem with the patches, and if we wish to restore everything back to square one, how should we go about using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup data ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Exposure
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to pipe ufsdump to ufsrestore?

Dear all, i want to copy the partition contents from a smaller disk to a larger disk but without modifying the target disk partition size. To this end, i tried to use piping ufsdump to ufsrestore as 'ufsdump 0f - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 l ufsrestore -i - /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0' but it was not successful. Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

5. Solaris

How to pipe ufsdump to ufsrestore?

Dear all, i want to copy the partition contents from a smaller disk to a larger disk but without modifying the target disk partition size. To this end, i tried to use piping ufsdump to ufsrestore as 'ufsdump 0f - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 l ufsrestore -i - /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0' but it was not successful. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup & mpiexec problems

Hi everyone - I'm trying to start a run of LAMMPS (which takes an input file) with mpiexec on multiple processors. I want to combine this with nohup so that I can log off the node. I've used the syntax below successfully on one cluster, but it doesn't work on the new one I'm using. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin85
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Building New server using ufsdump/ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Building New server using Ufsdump/ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsdump/ufsrestore problem

I ran ufsdump as follows............... # ufsdump 9ucf /dev/rmt/0n /dev/dsk/c1t9d0s3 DUMP: Writing 63 Kilobyte records DUMP: Date of this level 9 dump: Tue 23 Oct 2007 02:19:40 PM PDT DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c1t9d0s3 (gambler:/apps) to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question