what is the default password for those build-in accounts?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the default password for those build-in accounts?
# 1  
Old 01-09-2007
what is the default password for those build-in accounts?

what is the default password for those build-in accounts, such as adm, sys, dhcp, oracle, guest?

if not set, can they be used to login? is that a security problem? how are they designed to be used?

thanks!
# 2  
Old 01-09-2007
It's difficult to lump those all together since that includes a guest account and, unless I'm mistaken, an admin account. Talk about polar extremes. Smilie But system accounts like dhcp and oracle are generally configured as non-login accounts: no password, no home, not even a shell. Programs using this uid switched to it with a privileged setuid() call rather than any sort of login process.
# 3  
Old 01-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It's difficult to lump those all together since that includes a guest account and, unless I'm mistaken, an admin account. Talk about polar extremes. Smilie But system accounts like dhcp and oracle are generally configured as non-login accounts: no password, no home, not even a shell. Programs using this uid switched to it with a privileged setuid() call rather than any sort of login process.
I just used an oracle account to login into a solaris system with a password yesterday however.
# 4  
Old 01-09-2007
you can look in the /etc/passwd file and that will show you what home directory, default shell and so on is set for each user. It will also let you know whether the user is allowed to login or not.

Here is a sample from my /etc/passwd file

Code:
wwwrun:x:30:8:WWW daemon apache:/var/lib/wwwrun:/bin/false
ftp:x:40:49:FTP account:/srv/ftp:/bin/bash
postfix:x:51:51:Postfix Daemon:/var/spool/postfix:/bin/false
sshd:x:71:65:SSH daemon:/var/lib/sshd:/bin/false
ntp:x:74:65534:NTP daemon:/var/lib/ntp:/bin/false

as you can see the default shell when they login is /bin/false which means they have no shell access. I suspect yours would look much the same although depnding on your version you may see /sbin/nologin as the default shell, all does the same thing essentially Smilie
# 5  
Old 01-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spare_Ribs_
you can look in the /etc/passwd file and that will show you what home directory, default shell and so on is set for each user. It will also let you know whether the user is allowed to login or not.

Here is a sample from my /etc/passwd file

Code:
wwwrun:x:30:8:WWW daemon apache:/var/lib/wwwrun:/bin/false
ftp:x:40:49:FTP account:/srv/ftp:/bin/bash
postfix:x:51:51:Postfix Daemon:/var/spool/postfix:/bin/false
sshd:x:71:65:SSH daemon:/var/lib/sshd:/bin/false
ntp:x:74:65534:NTP daemon:/var/lib/ntp:/bin/false

as you can see the default shell when they login is /bin/false which means they have no shell access. I suspect yours would look much the same although depnding on your version you may see /sbin/nologin as the default shell, all does the same thing essentially Smilie
then how can I use these accounts? how are they usually used?
# 6  
Old 01-09-2007
These accounts are not for logging in with and hence that is why they have their login shells set to /bin/false. They are used by the daemons that they relate so sshd is used by the SSH daemon as the description says.

If you login as root and superuser to them

Code:
su sshd

you will see nothing happens.

As for you being able to login with Oracle, this is not unusual. It is sometimes used by DBAs to go in and use SQL Plus as it allows access to Orcale's components.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build.xml invocation by Build Script

Hi I have a build.xml file and I can run it on Windows via cmd. Now I want to write a script to invoke the same. Is there a way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Password encryption - migration user accounts from SuSe to RedHat

Hello guys, I'm currently working on replacing old server and it's migration from SuSe SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64) VERSION = 10 PATCHLEVEL = 4 to the RedHat Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago) Problem seems be in migration of users passwords,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding SDK Build on Kernel Source Build

Hi, So I downloaded this kernel source and was able to build it successfully. But I want to add this SDK source code inside, can anyone help me how to do this? Note that the SDK source can be built by itself. I added the SDK in the main Makefile: init-y := init/ #added SDK... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Does changing default password parms affect existing accounts in /etc/shadow?

Are the default password setting parameters (that are in /etc/login.defs) only used when a new local account is created on a server? It looks to me like a 'useradd userid1' command will look to the /etc/login.defs file to get default values for MINWEEKS MAXWEEKS and PASSLENGTH. If the parms are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msdjunk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default unix accounts

Hi, Can someone tell me what the default unix accounts are? And what is the default unix admin pwd? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kandy19
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question