Better to Use Return Code or wc -l Output?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Better to Use Return Code or wc -l Output?
# 1  
Old 04-23-2013
Better to Use Return Code or wc -l Output?

Hey All,

Quick question...

I'm writing a short script to check if a continuous port is running on a server.

I'm using "ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep processName" and I was wondering if it was better/more reliable to just check the
return code from the command or if its better to pipe to 'wc -l' and check if it is '1' or not?

I was just curious if one method was more reliable then the other?

The server is "AIX 6"...

Thanks in Advance,
Matt
# 2  
Old 04-23-2013
They both do the exact same thing, but the return code method is simpler and costs one less process. The simpler way tends to be the best.

However: You're putting yourself through a lot of needless pain here:

Code:
if pgrep processName >/dev/null
then
else
fi

You should find pgrep in most places.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 04-23-2013
Hey Corona, thanks for the reply!

Ok cool... I've never used "pgrep" before, thanks I'll give that a try.

Thanks Again,
Matt
# 4  
Old 04-23-2013
also, pgrep directly prints pid's, so if you need them as output it can be used unfiltered.
# 5  
Old 04-23-2013
Ugghhh, nevermind....

Looks like the UNIX server (which is probably older then myself, or pretty darn close) doesn't have the pgrep command.

It only has: grep, egrep, fgrep and zgrep...
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin | grep "grep"
-r-xr-xr-x    3 bin      bin           34052 Jan  7 2011  egrep
-r-xr-xr-x    3 bin      bin           34052 Jan  7 2011  fgrep
-r-xr-xr-x    3 bin      bin           34052 Jan  7 2011  grep
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     system           27 May 12 2012  zgrep -> /usr/opt/freeware/bin/zgrep

Oh well, thanks anyways... I'll probably be able to get some use out of that on a slightly newer server. I guess I'll just go with the original idea.

Thanks Again,
Matt
# 6  
Old 04-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm5102
Ugghhh, nevermind....

Looks like the UNIX server (which is probably older then myself, or pretty darn close) doesn't have the pgrep command.
What is it? uname -a It'd be useful to know where pgrep is absent... I thought it was somewhat universal.
# 7  
Old 04-23-2013
Yea I thought the same thing...

It's a pretty ancient system that I "think" we plan on replacing soon... FINGERS CROSSED!
Running mostly dreaded UniData stuff.

Code:
#uname -a
AIX hostName 1 6 00C595524C00

No worries though I should be fine with the 'ps | grep' commands...

Thanks Again,
Matt
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the return value and get the output to $results

cmd() { echo " " echo "$(whoami)@$(hostname):$(pwd)# $*" results=`eval $*` echo $results } I want to get the eval $* 's return value and pass it to a new variable $val, and get "eval $*" 's the ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return output from shell script

Hi All, There are 2 scripts A and B. A --> It will invoke script B B --> It will generate below output. 100 - connected 105 - Not Connected 210 - Connected I want to return this value to script A. Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

*ix script to check port of client server and return output

Hello EveryOne, I am new to *ix. some could help to write a script. Problem :- Have to ssh to so many client and check port or filesystem usage, so thinking to automate using script. What i Need:- when i run script on my Launchpad server, it should Should ask and SSH to user provided... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeFirst
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with call of Java Programm & return code handling & output to several streams.

Hello Everybody, thanks in advance for spending some time in my problem. My problem is this: I want to call a java-Programm out of my shell skript, check if die return code is right, and split the output to the normal output and into a file. The following code doesn't work right, because in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danifunny
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

psql output without return \n

Hi Everyone, When i finish running # echo `psql -t -U root databaseA -c "select a, b from book"`; i get the output 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 Would like to have the result like: 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

how to return cygwin output to DOS

Hi, I have installed cygwin on my windows XP system. And I am trying to use the following code snippet: set SERVER="grep JDBCConnectionPool config.xml | gawk -F; '{print $2}'" sed -i 's/%SERVER%/WLMDEVDB1/' config.xml But it doesn't work because at runtime %SERVER% gets replaced by "grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: illcar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto return the single penultimate line from my output

Hi All I have what seems to be something quite trivial but for the life of me can't work out a solution. Basically, I have the following script that reads a version report that contains certain flags. If a condition is true, I want to print the value of column 2, sort them uniquely and return... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

asking about return code

hi all my system is linux red hat i have a script that runs some object . the object return some code to the system i see the code by writing echo $? i want to ask in the script if $? equals 14 how shell is do that in the script thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return code from PL/SQL Code

Hi Guys, I was just wondering if anybody can help me with this problem. OK, how we can get a value back from PL/SQL Script (not stored procedure/function) See the below example: (for example aaa.sh) #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -s user/password@test_id <<EOF @xxx.sq EOF` echo $VALUE ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question