Unable to sync a lv

Operating Systems AIX Unable to sync a lv
# 1  
Old 04-30-2013
Unable to sync a lv

Hi

Please look in to the below issue and advise how to fix the issue. I tried syncvg but it gives me an error. Recently we have upgraded the service pack in this lpar.
Code:
==========================================================
pmut8# lsvg -l rootvg | grep -i stale
paging00            paging     252     504     2    open/stale    N/A
pmut8# syncvg -l paging00
0516-1296 lresynclv: Unable to completely resynchronize volume.
        The logical volume has bad-block relocation policy turned off.
        This may have caused the command to fail.
0516-934 /usr/sbin/syncvg: Unable to synchronize logical volume paging00.

# 2  
Old 04-30-2013
Hi,

1) you can change the "BB POLICY" to yes (relocatable) [chlv or smitty lv] and try it again (but i'm not sure if this helps) or

2) drop this paging space and create a new one if necessary.

Normaly the default paging space device (hd6) is (great) enough.
You can check/manage your paging space with lsps,chps,mkps,etc.

Code:
>lsps -a
Page Space      Physical Volume   Volume Group    Size %Used Active  Auto  Type
hd6             hdisk0            rootvg        4096MB     1   yes   yes    lv

regards
# 3  
Old 04-30-2013
Quote:
Unable to completely resynchronize volume.
The logical volume has bad-block relocation policy turned off.
This may have caused the command to fail.
Does this suggest that you have an error on your disk to you? It does to me. You might be able to get away with removing the state copy of the LV and then re-mirroring.
If the suggestion from -=XrAy=- doesn't sort you out, then can you give us the output from:-
Code:
lsvg -p rootvg
lsvg -l rootvg
lslv -M hd6

Then, for each disk returned in the first command:-
Code:
lspv -l hdiskn
lspv -M hdiskn

I hope that this helps.

Robin,
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK
# 4  
Old 05-01-2013
Assuming this is a physical disk - the most direct advice, given by -=XrAy=- - is to remove the paging00 logical volume.

Also simple, is to repeat the command and see if the error/warning repeats again. The key word in the message is "may". You should also review the errpt output for any specific HW related errors.

Quote:
DISK_ERR4 T Error caused by bad block or occurrence of a recovered error
Rule of thumb: If disk produces more than one DISK_ERR4 per week, replace the disk
Rather than replace the disk immediately (maybe replacements are not possible!?) you can also try a "low-level" format and certify of the disk using the diag command in the area identified by Task Selection (Diagnostics, Advanced Diagnostics, Service Aids, etc.)

Lastly, once you identify a BB (bad block) and know which PP (physical partition) it is in, you can create a "dummy" logical volume (flag it as type lvBB using mklv -t lvBB ...) and then never assign any data to it. This will keep the AIX LVM from ever trying to use it dynamically.

Note: for this last to work you must supply some extra arguments I do not know from memory (maybe someone else does). But hsi is what manuals are for.

Note2: this assumes it is a physical volume - i.e. a real SCSI or SSA disk - directly attached to the system.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to sync without rsync?

rsync for solaris seems to be a spotty beast. It's not installed by default. I facing a problem where I didn't have root access to be able install rsync. I did have ssh access and was able to configure the authorized keys so that no password was required to connect from one server to another. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abe123
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sync directory

Hi, I have directory name as TEST on server1 and same directory TEST on server2 now i need to using these directories as new directories and files will be generated by application in TEST directory daily. I dont have rsync package on server. My approach is by lists all sub-directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar_spatil
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Sync two servers

Hi All, want to sync. two servers , both are having solaris os. If am updating any thing in one server , it will automatically sync. with the other server . Is it possible , if so den how ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sync

Folks; I have 2 SUSE DNS servers, one will be the master and one will be the slave. we normally update the master when adding any new servers to the DNS list. I'm looking for a way to sync both servers every night, so the slave is updated nightly. I thought of using "rsync" with cron to sync... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

5. Solaris

R-sync for solaris?

Hi Gurus I ave a Prod,standby and DR server(All Sol 5.9) and i need to sync the Application running in prod,standby and DR. The Application vests in a filesystem(a directory) and syncing the directory would server my purpose. I came across rsync utility and am planning to implement it. But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Sync to Green vs. Separate Sync

Hi all....I have a Sun Ultra2 that I want to use with my PC monitor. I have purchased an adapter that does not work and I was told I need to change my video card setting (if I can) to Separate Sync.....my Monitor product number ends in 1343......I am running SunOS 5.7 ......anyone have any ideas? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psantinello
0 Replies

7. SuSE

unable to sync the time with ntp server

Hi folks, The server time is no tgetiing synched up with the NTP server. I tried ntpdate -u <ipadress> this is not working. please help out. regards, Sag. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Workstations are not sync

What's the idea of Unsyncron SUN WS's ? one of our client had a problem & my supervisor told me that this causes of unsynchron WS's i mean maybe the setting of one is not compatible with other ..... Any Suggestion would be helpful Rgrds, nikk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question