Horrible failure at installing anything

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Horrible failure at installing anything
# 1  
Old 07-19-2005
Horrible failure at installing anything

I just jumped into this with no prior experience with Unix. I've been trying to install anything and nothing works. At first I couldn't configure anything because I got the error "no acceptable c compiler found in $path" but I hunted around the net and solved it by doing this:

% cc=gcc
% export cc

Now it seems like it compiles okay but now I go to the correct directory but I can't make because it says "bash: make: command not found." I searched around the internet saw that it could be that I didn't have make installed and I should check it by doing this:

% dpkg -l | grep make

but for this I get "dpkg-query: failed to open package info file '/usr/lib/db/status' for reading: No such file or directory." I then looked at the manual entry for dpkg where it said the list of available packages to be installed could be found in the directory "/var/lib/dpkg/available" but after I checked that out I discovered there is no "dpkg" in "lib."

Does this mean I don't have dpkg installed either? How could this be? I've already tried reinstalling all of cygwin and just the developement package many times with no result. What do I do now? Smilie
# 2  
Old 07-20-2005
It sounds like you're on the right track. You're using a fresh install of Cygwin in MS Windows? Here's a couple of things to try:

$ which gcc
$ which make

Those commands should print out the path to gcc and make if they're properly installed on your system. When you download source code to compile, 99% of the time all you have to do is this:

$ cd source-code-dir-X.Y.Z
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Hope this helps!
# 3  
Old 07-20-2005
Use the setup.exe file to install make on cygwin.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Failure while installing SCO UNIXWare7.1.4 on vmware workstation9, virtualbox

Sir I am trying to install UnixWare7.1.4 on vmware workstation9, virtualbox and I am getting the following error FATAL BOOT ERROR: decompression failed For installing SCO Unixware7.1.4 I have created virtual harddisk of size 18GB, 1024 RAM, 64bit video memory, chosen unixware7.1.4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshforu3
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Failure

Hi , I need to write a IF condition to know if a SFTP file transfer is successful or not and send email if its failed. `sftp username@servername <<comm1 cd /directory put filename comm1 bye` I use above commands for my connections. So please help me to write a IF statement. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna87
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel failure

hi, i´ve been the last 48 hours with this issue, this is my last resort.... after clone another system to a new one with lvm, the last step is mkinitrd. i execute it and it finish, but some errors are sent to stderrr. /sbin/mkinitrd: line380: gawk: command not found Traceback (most... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Fan failure

would Solaris 10 shutdown automatically if both CPU fans fail? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

su failure

Usually when su rejects an attempt to switch user it responds with "Sorry" but with a certain username on some unix servers the response is "Killed". I'm guessing the su accepted the username/password but refused to spawn child shell with the specified username. What's causing this and what has to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
8 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Re Installing windows XP after installing KUBUNTU

Hi I have dual operating system i.e Win XP and KUBUNTU. Now my windows XP is corrupted and i want to reinstall Win XP. So i just want to know Shall i have to reinstall Linux also or i can only reinstall win xp without affecting linux installation. Thanks Sarbjit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

subsystem failure

aix 4.3 I get the following error from the errpt log BD797922 0306170008 P H enclosure0 SUBSYSTEM FAILURE I'm not clear on this kind of error. It never happened to me. What do this errors mean, and how do I clear or solve them? Any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andwhat
2 Replies

9. Linux

Installing Firefox and now ended up installing latest glibc

Hi all, I wanted to install the latest version of firefox 2 but it seems when I attempt to install it, it seems to be saying it is looking for c libraries version 2.3? I believe I currently have an older version of the c libraries. I am currently running Sun's JDS Linux 2003. My Mozilla web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
1 Replies

10. Programming

ld failure

Hi, I am using gmake to compile a c program with a makefile. The make file runs ld. I get the following error jsh1035c:/users/egate453/admegate/kapil/samples $ gmake -e -f GNUmakefile queue_c gmake -f ./GNUmakefile queue_c in_objdir=1 build_root=/users/egate453/admegate/kapil/samples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question