How to echo password characters

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to echo password characters
# 1  
Old 09-10-2005
Question How to echo password characters

Hi All,

I was wondering, how can I echo password using a character such as '*' in unix?
In my machine, password is not echoed, so it is only blank space when I enter any password.

So, when I enter a command such as "lock", how can I set the echo character to "*" or something else for passwords?

Thanks,

MZ
# 2  
Old 09-10-2005
You would need to write your own lock command that behaves that way. Ditto for every other program that requests a password.
# 3  
Old 09-10-2005
how would I write that? an example?
# 4  
Old 09-10-2005
Use google to find the source code.
# 5  
Old 09-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Use google to find the source code.

good idea. Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to hide password when using echo cmd?

Hi Am using unix Aix Ksh I need to hide the password using echo cmd Connecting the database and fetching ip_address and password from one table. greping the IP_address and password using two variable IP_addr Pawd Then Used echo cmd echo " connecting to $IP-addr and $Pawd" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo is replacing characters

Hi All, I'm using KSH and am writing a small script that counts the lines of various files in several folders under one root folder. Below is the script: #!/usr/bin/ksh common_path_in="/interface_in/rsc" file_out="/interface_in/rsc/record_count.csv" tot_rec_count=-1 act_rec_count=-1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude characters in echo command please help

Hi all, I wrote one code and i face some difficulties to exclude some characters from the echo command more specifically the last command is echo $a "${RESULT}" >> results_data_srcip the results which i have taken are: nfcapd.200908250000 -.352228 nfcapd.200908250005 -.345085 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draxmas
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo password

hi all, I am using HP-UX I want to show password with * instead of space on screen while i entered password through keyboard. can you tell me that shell script code? i used following code stty -echo read pass stty echo echo $pass but this time it wont show anything on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari_uctech
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing password having special characters

Hi I have a password stored in a file (which is a user input) The password is having the special character $ say the password is pw$ord and is stored in the file pw_note I am using the following statement to store the passowrd in a variable $schema_pwd = `cat $dir/pwd_note` ; Now if i print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading password and echo * character

Hi, First of all i am using solaris 10. I want to write a script that ask user to enter password and read the character input from keyboard. The ask to re-enter the password and then if they are match it will accept. But my problem is I want to echo a '*' character instead of the character I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanpachuau
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Password without numeric characters

G'day guys, Just a simple question: Is it possible to set user's passwords without numeric characters? I prefer to have passwords as simple words, but when going through SMC, i get an error that the first six characters must contain at least 2 alphabetic and 1 numeric. Server is a Sun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question