SSH operation timed out

Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support SSH operation timed out
# 1  
Old 04-28-2012
SSH operation timed out

This has never happened before, but my laptop is now unable to access any remote servers. I have tried with 3 independent servers that I have access as recently as last week.

I am not asked for my password,

Code:
home:~ x$ ssh -v -p22 user@server
OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to server [194.57.168.xx] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 194.57.168.xx port 22: Operation timed out
ssh: connect to host serverport 22: Operation timed out

What might I have done wrong? I cleared the known_hosts file after I started having this problem. I can see that ssh_config is probably what is causing me this problem

When I ping any of the remote servers I get no response and on cancelling the request I have 100% packet loss.

Any help appreciated!!!!!
# 2  
Old 04-28-2012
looks more like a network problem... if you can not ping the server, you most certainly can not ssh to the server...
# 3  
Old 04-29-2012
As Duke mentioned, it's certainly a network problem. Could be an issue due to network configuration of the laptop or could be possible network admin changed VLANs behind your back and forgot to enable routing among them. Smilie

I would rather need a clear picture of your network and the network config of the OS you are running to conclude something.
# 4  
Old 05-01-2012
Tools

Greetings,

As has been previously mentioned, more information about your network topology would probably help in troubleshooting this. That being said, let me toss out a couple situations that might apply to your problem, or if not, maybe they can help get you thinking in the right direction.

First, just because a ping does not succeed does not mean there is a problem. If you are on different subnets or networks, that might be normal. Most networks block ICMP (ping) traffic from entering their networks if not being more restrictive. If however, you have been able to successfully ping before, and now you cannot, then it would seem that there is indeed a network problem and you should contact someone on your network team.

Second, most UNIX and Linux servers use TCP_WRAPPERS to protect network services on their server. This means that in the hosts.allow file, there is most likely an entry allowing you and your computer access via SSH. This is done by allowing your IP address (or subnet perhaps) or hostname access to the system. If by some chance the IP address on your PC has changed (say, by DHCP) that could cause the error you see. Or if they are using a hostname to allow access, it could be a DNS problem if the server you are connecting to cannot perform a reverse DNS lookup on your IP. So there are a couple things to check, make sure your IP hasn't changed and make sure that reverse DNS is working properly for that IP. Plus, the server you are connecting to could be having DNS problems even if DNS in general is functioning on your network.

I hope this helps, please post an update with more information if you are still having problems, or if you find the solution.

Thanks,

Laz
# 5  
Old 05-14-2012
As you get error with given command and your SSH command is user@server (I hope it is some server name not IP).

So it is trying to connect to 194.57.168.xx .
Now if ping failed it could that server is down/network is down or Server has ping disabled on n/w or on server or even from your laptop f/w.

Do some basic check
1. Check if you internet connection is good
2. Check if you can connect to another server on same n/w
3. if you have internet working . then try connecting via another server. Some times routes are set bad or shortest connection is down.
4. Call some one on Datacenter and check if server is up or not.
else .. Smilie we have a Road block.

Code:
home:~ x$ ssh -v -p22 user@server
OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to server [194.57.168.xx] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 194.57.168.xx port 22: Operation timed out
ssh: connect to host serverport 22: Operation timed out

# 6  
Old 05-16-2012
My hunch: firewall is blocking it.
# 7  
Old 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
looks more like a network problem... if you can not ping the server, you most certainly can not ssh to the server...
not necessarily, firewall could block ICMP but pass ssh.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Ssh connection timed out

Hello, I have two AIX6.1 machines that can communicate with each other through ssh. The problem is that one of them somehow closes the connection after some time and i don't know the reason of that. For example today i send through rsync command 7 files from one server to the other. It send... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timed Scripts

Hi all I need a little bit of help, i am looking for a script that can have different events in it and then if it is a certain day email me about it some sort of email reminder system any ideas thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column operation : cosne and sine operation

I have a txt file with several columns and i want to peform an operation on two columns and output it to a new txt file . file.txt 900.00000 1 1 1 500.00000 500.00000 100000.000 4 4 1.45257346E-07 899.10834 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I make a timed script

Hello, I would like to make a script, ideally in perl since I am most familair with it, that does the following: automatically starts up at 9 pm, searches through a specified directory for any new files, finds those new files and starts to run them through a pipeline. I have most of it worked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
4 Replies

5. Solaris

I/O timed out

I have Ultra 45 Sun solaris box with Solaris 10 installed. My problem is when i boot the unix box, i got the message: What does this message meant? then it does not continue to boot successfully. Please help. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
5 Replies

6. Programming

Timed wait?

Is there any way in which I can make my wait signal to wait for a specified time for child job to complete. And if that time is over, the program gets out of the wait signal to process other things (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjul_thegreat
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

connection timed out

I am trying to connect with my hp machine using "dialup networking." It times out after 30 seconds. Is there a way to adjust this time. Would it have anything to do with rexec? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paschal
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timed commands

Hello, How can I set up events to be executed at a certain time? And do I need some kind of privilege such as being in cron group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deferred: connection timed out with NT

We recently installed a new release of SCO UNIX (5.0.6) and when I try to relay e-mail from the UNIX box to my NT server (the mail server) I get the following message from sendmail. Deferred: Connection timed out with nt I have nt set up as my relay server in sendmail.cf and the mail seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmossman
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Connection Timed out

I connect to a Sun Box through telnet but it timed out in couple of minutes. Advance thanks for any idea...help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question