# 1  
Old 09-11-2010
Repeated Pattern

I have a list like this:

todu
todo
tofe
tafo

I want to grep only the lines where the 2nd and the 4th character are the same.
In this case I would get only "todo".

Thanks.
# 2  
Old 09-11-2010
Code:
egrep '.(.).\1' file

# 3  
Old 09-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Code:
egrep '.(.).\1' file

If it is truly the first and fourth character what you are seeking, then
Code:
grep -E '^.(.).\1' file

since it does not match the pattern in any other part of the length of the string.

If you are looking for the said pattern in any word, regardless of the length of it.
Code:
grep -E '\<.(.).\1' file

If you want to limit the pattern to words of four characters length.
Code:
grep -E '\<.(.).\1\>' file

# 4  
Old 09-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Code:
egrep '.(.).\1' file

I think the command has a bug, here is the fix.

Code:
egrep '^.(.).\1' infile

$ cat infile
xtodu
ytodo
todo
tofe
tafo

$ egrep '^.(.).\1' infile
todo

$  egrep '.(.).\1' infile
ytodo
todo

---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:32 AM ----------

by awk
Code:
awk  'BEGIN{FS=""}$2==$4' infile

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the most repeated column

Hi all , i want to get the most repeated column in my file File: name,ID adam,12345 ----1 adam,12345 ----2 adam,934 adam,12345 ----3 john,14 john,13 john,25 ----1 john,25 ----2 tom,1 -----1 tom,2 -----1 so my output to be (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting most repeated 3 lines

Hi all if i want to get the 3 lines of the most repeated lines here tony,1,x tony,1,x tony,2,x tony,2,x tony,3,x tony,4,x tony,5,x adam,1,y to get output tony,1,x tony,2,x tony3,x adam,1,y (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find repeated word and take sum of the second field to it ,for all the repeated words in awk

Hi below is the input file, i need to find repeated words and sum up the values of it which is second field from the repeated work.Im trying but getting no where close to it.Kindly give me a hint on how to go about it Input fruits,apple,20,fruits,mango,20,veg,carrot,12,veg,raddish,30... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to print lines between repeated pattern

Hi all, I have a file that looks like this: uid=bessemsj version: 1 dn: cn=Desk SpecialAdminDesk, ou=Desks, dc=DSS,c=nl,o=Vodafone dn: cn=DSS Advisors, ou=Groups, dc=DSS,c=nl,o=Vodafone dn: cn=DSS Dispatcher,ou=Groups,dc=DSS,c=nl,o=Vodafone dn: cn=Desk Retention Desk,ou=Desks,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eman_in_forum
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove anything after repeated string pattern found

HI, Can anyone help me with a script. i/p calc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 calc 4 5 6 calc 7 8 9 o/p calc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 calc 4 5 6 i.e remove anything after where two times the string calc is found. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk -repeated pattern match

Hi. How can I write this differently: awk '$3 ~ /0001/{print}' Is there a way to write 0001 differently. I am looking for the pattern 01, with 3 or more 0 and 3 or more 1 in a pattern. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To get the total of how many times the pattern is repeated.

Hi, I need the total of how many times the pattern is being repeated in a particular file. I tried with grep as below, but no go. grep -c best sample Contents of Sample file: ----------------------- This is the best site I have never come across. The best one indeed. Very best... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of repeated entries.

I have the following problem. The file contains many lines already sorted according to their first arguments. Some of these first arguments are repetitive. For each first argument value, I need to keep the first and the last line that contain it. For example, ... 1 234 1 348 ... ... 5 483... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jijibabawu
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question