DNS Resolution Issue

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat DNS Resolution Issue
# 1  
Old 10-22-2012
DNS Resolution Issue

Hello,

Having issue resolving DNS using the IP address.
Using the server Name it resolves fine.

Was wondering if there is any configuration issue.

[root@xxxxxxxx01]# nslookup xxxxxxxx01
Server: Primary DNS IP
Address: Primary DNS IP#53

Name: xxxxxxxx01.local domain
Address: x.y.z.123

[root@xxxxxxxx01 var]# nslookup x.y.z.123
Server: Primary DNS IP
Address: PRIMARY DNS IP#53

** server can't find 123.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN
# 2  
Old 10-25-2012
Do you have a PTR record for this IP in the reverse lookup zone? If not, you need to have one.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS and hostname resolution

I've always been confused by technical discussions of DNS. They say that DNS is used to match a domain name with the IP address of a host on the Internet. The thing that confuses me is this premise that there is an exact, one-to-one correspondence between Internet domain names and hosts on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
4 Replies

2. Linux

DNS Response Issue

Hi, I have a Windows based Domain (abc.com)servers like: 172.30.1.246 172.30.1.247 172.30.3.246 172.30.3.247 On all my Linux servers (/etc/resolv.conf) have a following DNS servers entries: nameserver 172.30.3.246 nameserver 172.30.3.247 But when i ping my Domain (abc.com), it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: refra
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX DNS issue

Hi All, I'm having some problems with our HP-UX environment. I'm running Oracle EBS on a HP-UX system, and whenever my primary dns server goes down some of my clients can no longer connect. Everything on my windows side continues to work, and clients can reach the internet and other services... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: agonza07
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

DNS issue in Redhat 9

Hi all m newbie in linux and trying to setup my internal DNS server for local network.After messing with DNS for hours i am posting this. i have configured /etc/resolve.conf, hostname with domain name in /etc/sysconfig/network file,/etc/hosts file with local host entry and zone file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

ssh with easy dns resolution

In my work env we have a lots of hosts. most all the hosts are in similar hostnames for eg cluster11.data.corp.sb1.uni.com, med123.data.corp.sk1.uni.com, also we have some server is colo network which have the host name like cluster11.data.colo.sb1.uni.com Please help me to make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimaxlin
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Resolution Issue Of RedHat Linux In VMWARE

Hi , I Have Installed Red Hat Linux 5 (Guest) In VMWARE And Host Is Windows The Screen Resolution Of Linux Is Less And How To Increase Resolution , When I Am Trying To Install VMWARE Tool It's Just Showing The Below Message Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Linux DNS issue

Hi , I have configured OEL 5.3 server on VMware server,installation went fine, however when i am checking host using configured /etc/hosts i am getting following error let me know where it went wrong . I had disabled firewall options and SELLinux. root@oen11g ~]# host oen11g.grid.com ;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: autoconfig
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Issue patching, can't find resolution

I'm trying to install the latest patch cluster on a server running 05/08 (it's a Sunfire v240). When installing, the patch cluster dies at patch 138195-04. Looking at the failure log, here is what it says: baspeans01:/home/10_Recommended# more /var/tmp/138195-04.log.16544 This appears to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
2 Replies

9. Solaris

DNS name resolution

Hi, I got solaris 10 installed on a E250 and i am expericing issues resolving dns. from some research i think it's becuase where i haven't set-up NIS and i don't intend too as i am just setting up a box to poke communigate pro. Any help or advice please? Thanks in advance Alan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: e250user
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

DNS issue.

Hi, We use linux as a DNS server for our local network. ( linuxnol.nollekens.be ) We can ping this machine on all our XP clients like this: C:\>ping linuxnol Until yesterday it was on our XP clients enough to type "ping ibm250" ( our 2de unix server, an AIX ). But after a shutdown of this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: progressdll
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question