changing timeout in FTP

Experts,
Can someone tell me how to chnage the timeout settings for FTP. I am on HP UX

Thanks in Advance..
Smilie
# 2  
Old 05-16-2002
The default for the $FWDIR/lib/init.def under the
#define FTP_CONTROL_TIMEOUT is to use the TCP_CONNECT_TIMEOUT setting under Rule 0. Usually it is set to 120 seconds (2 minutes). Try to edit it to 600 seconds (10 minutes) or longer.

Give a try do post the result.
# 3  
Old 05-16-2002
Hi!!,
I cant find any file named "init.def" in any of the directories. Could you tell me the probable location on HP UX

Smilie
# 4  
Old 05-16-2002
Hey! I found teh solution..

I can do it by changing the inetd.conf file

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/ftpd ftpd -t7200

This ensures me a time out of 7200 Seconds (Max. Permissible value)

Smilie
# 5  
Old 04-16-2003
followup questions

1) ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/ftpd ftpd -t7200
the above format should be the same for telnet... if i want to set the time_out.

2) hmm, where to get this elusive "$FWDIR/lib/init.def " i did a find / -name init.def on aix, hpux , solaris.. and nowhere to be found.....
yls177
# 6  
Old 04-16-2003
1) ftpd actually converses with the client during the ftp session. telnetd, on the other hand, connects the client to a login program. And the login program replaces itself with a shell. The shell actually converses with the client. Most shells have some means to set a timeout period. Most login programs do not.

2) I have never heard of that either. It sounds like a firewall package of some kind, but this wasn't really a firewall question.
# 7  
Old 04-16-2003
KillerServ may have been talking about Firewall-1 from CheckPoint.. but jyotipg didn't say the problem was specifically a firewall one..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

UNIX - FTP changing the mode while transfering the files

Hi, I have to transfer my files using FTP. Few files are in Zipped format (.Z) and few are in .PX format . For zipped files, we need to change the mode to binary while transferring the files whereas for the px files the mode should be ascii. Eg: sample1.z sample2.z sample3.z sample.px ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidlaks
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing from FTP to SFTP server

Hi everyone, I am having problems with changing a script (originally it is used to transfer file from an FTP server to another place). Now the company change the FTP to SFTP server, so I need to change the script accordingly. Basically, I have trouble with the log in authentication, here is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
4 Replies

3. AIX

ftp timeout valiue in AIX 5.3 server !

Dear Friends, I am using AIX 5.3 server . In AIX , I want to increase the timeout value of the ftp service . But I cannot find any configuration file with ftp related in AIX 5.3 server . Would anybody plz tell me , How can I increase the default timeout value in AIX ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find out excat timing of ftp control session timeout

We are facing difficulties in ftp'ing large files.For large file transfer using FTP, the control session gets timed out where as the the data session is active and transfers the file completely. Is there a way to make the control session active as long as data session? How to find the control... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing permission using FTP

Dear all, i want to change file permision of remote dir using FTP. is that possible? what i'm doing is i'm simply doing chmod 777 filename after establishing the connection with remote server using ftp... but the result showing is 550 SITE CHMOD command failed. can any body plz help?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing userID and Changing group and GID

Hello, I want to write a ksh script about changing UID and changing group with GID. There are multiple servers i want to perform that job. linux1 linux2 linux3 linux4 linux5 ...... . . . . . 1.) How can i enter "password" in script rather asking me? I was trying this... ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
2 Replies

7. Solaris

increase ftp timeout

Dear Experts How is it possible to increase the ftp timeout. After 900 seconds my ftp connection from my PC to a Solaris 8 U60 Workstation is lost due to timeout limitation i guess on the workstation side. Very Best regards Reza (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
1 Replies

8. Solaris

About the Timeout

Hello everyone I am a new one,I want to know how to get the solaris force the loginer out if he do not in a time thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyh003473
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

timeout

How can I kick a user out after being idle for a certain amount of time, would prefer not to use scripts, will TMOUT work on HP-UX? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

changing Hash printing options for FTP

Hi!!, I usually have to ftp massive files ~200MB. The default hash printing option marks a hash for every 1024 bytes. Any ideas how to change this setting to some other value?? I know no one like to see logfiles of size ~2mb just filled with hashes.. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question