why uptime display "load average: inf, inf, inf"

Operating Systems HP-UX why uptime display "load average: inf, inf, inf"
# 1  
Old 06-29-2009
why uptime display "load average: inf, inf, inf"

Hi,

Does anyone seem this kind of output from uptime and top where "load average: inf, inf, inf"

is this possible problem with the processor?

Cpu states:
CPU LOAD USER NICE SYS IDLE BLOCK SWAIT INTR SSYS
0 0.10 5.4% 0.0% 4.0% 90.6% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
1 inf 2.6% 0.0% 2.6% 94.8% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
2 0.09 2.2% 0.0% 3.2% 94.6% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
3 0.10 1.4% 0.0% 5.0% 93.6% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
--- ---- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
avg inf 2.8% 0.0% 3.8% 93.4% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%

Last edited by robertngo; 06-29-2009 at 01:05 AM..
# 2  
Old 07-17-2009
inf means infinity. uptime and top must be able to obtain data from the kernel and in this case they are failing. The only time I have seen this on hp-ux is during the time between rebuilding the kernel and rebooting. Lots of stuff will not work during that window of time.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies

2. Solaris

"Load Average" vs "virtual processor"

Hi, I have one question regarding the understanding of “load average” in a platform with virtual processors. Suppose in this situation: Total number of physical processors: 1 Number of virtual processors: 32 Total number of cores: 4 Number of cores per physical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MDING
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris:Tomcat-Failed to access resource /WEB-INF/lib/One.jar

Hi All, I have configured the tomcat 6.0.26 and it is working fine in Solaris. Testing JSP and SERVLET program I ensured tomcat is configured properly (My guess). ------------------- Now I placed my Servlet and JSP code under /users/kalai/sample. I have created a soft link to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting load average from uptime command

The output ofthe uptime command gives: 9:40am up 9 days, 10:36, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00 How can i extract the portion "load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

6. AIX

After run ps , uptime , w command I get reply "killed"

Hi, After run ps , uptime , w command I get reply "killed" as normal dba and staff group user. As root every command works fine. I cheched all the user settings , right with other servers and I could not find any error and other settings. The oslevel is 5300-10-01-0921. Any idea to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: boki
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uptime, load average, and # cpus

I was told that there is a correspondance between the number of cpus, the load averages, and when the cpus reach 100% capacity. I have 4 cpus and said that once the numbers hit 4.00, my CPUs are 100% at capacity. load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.11 Is that correct? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to eliminate inf value in AWK

Hi, I have the calculations which return me infinity (inf), -inf, other very larger number when I printed them out. I did try to insert some control condition not to print these out if the above condition is met. The code I implemented is something like:- for (i=0;i<=1000;i++){ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

invisble with "w" and ip doesnt display with "who"

Does anyone know how to do that ??? When I typed "w", I didn't see the user then I did "who", the user displayed but somehow his IP was invisible Thx in advnace (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question