stay in multi user mode but stop logins to system?

Operating Systems Solaris stay in multi user mode but stop logins to system?
# 1  
Old 02-19-2009
stay in multi user mode but stop logins to system?

I want to apply patches in multiuser mode but stop logins of other users while I do it?

What is the best way to do this?

I will be connected to the system via a putty session over a serial cable from another system (console is messed up)...

Should I put in a dummy passwd and shadow file temporarily? If I do that do I have to restart any services when I switch them out? I wouldn't think so but I thought I would ask.

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,
# 2  
Old 02-19-2009
try

Code:
touch /nologin

# 3  
Old 02-19-2009
WOW I had no idea that existed, that is awesome!

Thank you very much for sharing that, it is exactly what I needed.
# 4  
Old 02-19-2009
BTW what will that do to active logins? I mean if I were to do it now would it kill existing ones, or just stop new ones?

And just to clarify I will still be able to get to the system over the serial cable interface using putty from another box right? Just want to be sure as the direct login via the kvm switch directly connected to the box is messed up right now. Wouldn't want to shoot myself in the foot there if you know what I mean...
# 5  
Old 02-19-2009
i just read it is "/etc/nologin"! have a look here:
Solaris 10 Security
# 6  
Old 02-19-2009
I did a search on it when you posted it and found the same place myself.

I guess I will just try it and see.

try to ssh in again on another session and see if it is not allowed.

try to get in via putty over serial cable on the other box.

As long as I keep the one login open and it doesn't kill it when I create the file, which I don't think it will, I should be good to rm it if need be...
# 7  
Old 02-24-2009
Are u using Sparc Machine...

then whats the model...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with unix commands for user logins

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: List the last 3 times you logged into the hottub and the command(s) you used to obtain this information 2.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: iw2198
12 Replies

2. BSD

single user mode under system v

Hello! I am new to the forum and I need help on restoring root user's password or access the form of single user mode under operating system very long-standing family bsd - Unix system V I think it's also called srv4. I managed to enter the owner of IPL, and a moment after the rise of system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmalool
2 Replies

3. Solaris

User Logins

Is the below logins are needed in the machine..... nuucp , uucp ,smmsp , svctag , listen , webservd , ip ( We are not using printers), Can you help in these? Regards, kumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshkumarvg
3 Replies

4. AIX

Logging user logins

I want to know how I can turn off and turn on login logging. We have a server that appears to have stopped logging user logins. Running the who command shows nothing and the last command shows no logins for a month. The var/adm/wtmp file isn't full and there is plenty of space in the var file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to distinguish standard system mode or trust system mode

I think that if the directory /tcb exists, HP-UX is in trusted mode and the passwd data is somewhere in /tcb/files/auth. But that's all I remember. Also I think recent versions of HP-UX can have a /etc/shadow file. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linmit user logins

Hello everyone, traditionally a user can log in on more than one machine as much as they want. In AIX 4.3, Is there a way to make it so that if the user is already logged on, the system will not let them log on, therefor not run their logon profile script again? (limit the user to one machine at a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent - Single User Mode -Unisys System V Release 4.0

Hello All, I have a Unisys 6000/65 machine running Unix System V Release 4.0.My problem is that we received an error that said "SPCS error occurred"and "vxfs:vx -ilisterr-inode 62585 mark bad /filesystem".The machine was stuck and I had to restart it.Now I cannot login from any workstation or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liverpool
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi User Multi Task

Dear Experts Why we always hear that unix operating system is Multi User and Multi task. What does these two means. I have looked at some books and documents but couldn't find aclear explenation. Can we say Windows operating system is also multi user and multi task?? Thanks for your help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Poor resourece allocation (multi-user system)

All, I am an intermediate user, and am running SAS on a nice Solaris machine. However, even when top says that no other programs are running, the machine will only give me 5-7% processor power. Is this a configuration problem with SAS or the way the server is configured? Is there any way I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question