Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers underlining
# 1  
Old 08-28-2003
Computer underlining

can unix underline any words ??
<u>Time-»_( 07:54:50 )_ Date-»( Fri Aug 29 )</u>
# 2  
Old 08-28-2003
Not sure about underlining, but if you're just trying to make something stand out, check this out:

https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/10990-blink-flash-echo-text-menu.html?s=
# 3  
Old 08-28-2003
thats alot ombera ... really appreciatte that !!!
# 4  
Old 08-29-2003
There are escape sequences that you can use to turn on and off reverse video, underlining, and flashing text. Search Google for escape sequences
# 5  
Old 08-29-2003
whats a escapt sequences ??
---
and ... are there any ways to 'wall' (broadcast) with the highlight thingie that oombera just said ??
# 6  
Old 08-29-2003
For example, when setting your PS1 variable (sets your command line prompt) you can type:

PS1="^[[7mMyPrompt^[[0m:"

ESC[7m portion turns on the option and [0m: portion turns off the option. This works in Linux and I know the underlining works in HPUX. Havent really fooled around with this too much. Look up vi escape sequences for more information.

Note: the caret + bracket sequence is actually 1 character, not 2. You have to type cntrl-v + ESC to get this sequence. Its not the same as simply entering in shift-6 + [

[7m turns on reverse video
[5m Blinks
[4m Underlines

Last edited by google; 08-30-2003 at 08:46 AM..
# 7  
Old 08-30-2003
Computer

sorry ~~ really dun understand what you are talking about ... cus maybe im a newbie in linux
haha ~~

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

1 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem underlining text

I have a whole text file filled with titles of books and its writers and the publications houses etc. Example: I want to underline the title:" This business of the Gods". An awk line can do the trick, but I have not been able to get it together. I am close but I can't make it work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheoDore4
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question