Need help regarding user with nologin

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help regarding user with nologin
# 1  
Old 11-30-2011
Need help regarding user with nologin

Hi,
Need one clarification..
If suppose, I have disabled the login to a particular user XXX, but not deleted the user.
So the scripts which must be executed using the user XXX can still be executed using that user or is it not possible..?

In our tasks, we are disabling the user XXX, and after that we r trying to execute some scripts to which XXX is the owner, using su –u XXX –command.
But it failed to work.
But doing the same using sudo –u XXX command is working.

Unable to get what the problem is…
Can u plz help me in this..?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Do not make the text font smaller as it is already please and light blue as font color doesn't give more contrast to a blue-grey background, thanks.

Last edited by zaxxon; 11-30-2011 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: font and color usage
# 2  
Old 11-30-2011
Each process has a real user id and an effective user id.

sudo has the same effect as su username
This DOES NOT "login", you have to run the .profile manually, for example.
This simply changes the effective user id

su - username
This DOES "login"
This changes the real user id.

Is that what you mean?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

System shell nologin script required

Hi Part of our security audit we found that following system account's had shells configured; sync halt shutdown I believe this can be achieved by following commands: chsh -s /sbin/nologin (user) usermod -s /sbin/nologin (user) However, I would like simple script to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gamma
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH with a nologin account

Is it possible to SSH with an account that has its shell set to /sbin/nologin? The reason I ask is because I am running an instance of nagios where I need to use SSH keys to run a check, but I am getting connect errors in Nagios. Also, what is the risk I run into if I just simply change my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update LDIF User info based on Test User Certs ID's

Hi I need help.......... I have an Sun One Directory server LDIF file with 5000 user entries, I need to change the data to match Test ID's, so I can run a perf test. I'm way out of my league as I have not done any scripting for 10 years. There are four entries for each user in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Macdaddy99
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

9. AIX

aix nologin shell

is the nologin shell available in AIX 5.2? I am familiar with the nologin shell in linux and restricting shell access but still allowing ftp etc. Can this be done in AIX? I have not been able to locate any documentation. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
5 Replies

10. Solaris

nologin shell on Solaris?

I'm setting up a Solaris 10 box to run Lawson application, which needs users to have Unix acounts, but the users will not be using interactive shell. To make it more secure, I'd rather not give them a valid shell. I know there's a trick by putting /noshell in the /etc/passwd file, but the problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question