Tag Release no. to Executables

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tag Release no. to Executables
# 1  
Old 02-23-2005
Tag Release no. to Executables

Hello,

I want to give and Release and Version no. in my .so and .exe. I am using Solaris 8

Can i do this by having the value in a variable and then tagging it via a makefile.
Or any other way.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
# 2  
Old 02-23-2005
Use what strings at the top of each module file:
Code:
static char *str_rev_code=         
"@(#)ACOM $Header:/main/str_rev.c v1.21 02 Apr 2003 11:55:31 $";

The what or ident command sees the what string and displays the result:
Code:
$> what bigfile
/dev1/general/exe/bigfile:
    $Revision: 92453-07 linker linker crt0.o B.11.33 020617 $
    $Header:/main/bilp.c     1.21   02 Apr 2003 11:55:18   psmith  $
    $Header:/main/astdf.c     1.1   30 Jan 2002 11:17:18   pjohns  $
    $Header:/main/arpfe.c     1.1   30 Jan 2002 11:11:44   paster $
    $Header:/main/str_rev.c     1.21  02 Apr 2003 11:55:30 jmcnama $
    $Header:/main/orac2.c     1.2   24 Jul 2002 20:44:36   bsmith  $
    $Header:/main/lib/com.c   1.2   24 Jul 2002 20:45:08   bjones  $
    $Header:/main/lib/orac.c   1.1   30 Jan 2002 11:25:06   pjones  $
    $Header:/main/lib/prnt.c   1.1   30 Jan 2002 11:26:40   psmith  $

Create scripts to check in code to cvs or whatever - have the script add whatever
information you need in a static variable, like the one above.
# 3  
Old 02-24-2005
Good option,

But somehow i dont want to put it in code.
Is there any option of adding while compiling or linking.
# 4  
Old 02-25-2005
We have the code librarian (Serena ChangeMan) add it dynamically whenever code is checked in. Adding it at compile time doesn't make sense, IMO.
# 5  
Old 02-28-2005
Why not?

If your Releases change, then you will everytime change your code librarian and if you are late by a day then ...

If i tag it somehow during compiling then it will be more feasible, as we don't have a code librarian.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving XML tag/contents after specific XML tag within same file

Hi Forum. I have an XML file with the following requirement to move the <AdditionalAccountHolders> tag and its content right after the <accountHolderName> tag within the same file but I'm not sure how to accomplish this through a Unix script. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search for a particular tag in xml and collate all similar tag values and display them count

I want to basically do the below thing. Suppose there is a tag called object1. I want to display an output for all similar tag values under heading of Object 1 and the count of the xmls. Please help File: <xml><object1>house</object1><object2>child</object2>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parse between to tag with upper tag

Hi Guys Here is my Input : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xn:MeContext id="01736"> <xn:VsDataContainer id="01736"> <xn:attributes> <xn:vsDataType>vsDataMeContext</xn:vsDataType> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a html tag and print the entire tag

I want to print from <fruits> to </fruits> tag which have <fruit> as mango. Also i want both <fruits> and </fruits> in output. Please help eg. <fruits> <fruit id="111">mango<fruit> . another 20 lines . </fruits> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashik409
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting with executables

Hi everyone, I am working with an executable (let's say work) in bash shell. When I run this work executable it asks the following information; 1- choose task a or b 2- input file 3- output file 4- some operational choices after it reads the given input file, does some algebraic... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for executables

Hello Unix users, this is my first post here. :) I want to search a directory (and subdirectories) for executable files (files with rwx------ permission) and move them to a different folder. What Unix commands can accomplish this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagan_Radiation
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve the value from XML tag whose end tag is in next line

Hi All, Find the following code: <Universal>D38x82j1JJ </Universal> I want to retrieve the value of <Universal> tag as below: Please help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, awk [TAG]$content[/TAG] How to get var in $content in textfile?

Hello, I got a Qstion. Im posting to a phpbb forum with bash and curl.. i have a text file with the following tags that i post to the forum: $var1 $var2 $var3 How can i with sed or awk put var content from shell script between the ... in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atmosroll
7 Replies

9. Programming

Compare two executables

Hi - I have two complex (for me at least) make files. The older one creates a succesful executable. The later one uses if statements to conditionally make different versions of the executable. The 2nd produces an executable that fails. I have "eyeballed" the differences in the Make files and run... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrighterLater
18 Replies

10. Programming

executables ending with *

Hi All, I m very new to unix. I have a basic doubt .. In unix I m seeing that there is a * at the end of by executable name (exe1*).. Wht is the significance of that Thanks a lot in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question