one question to critical workloads and applications functions

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users one question to critical workloads and applications functions
# 1  
Old 04-03-2007
one question to critical workloads and applications functions

hi everybody,

what mission critical workloads and applications functions can run on the UNIX operating system?

best regards
# 2  
Old 04-03-2007
This question is strange....Most of the critical software is designed for Unix, what exactly do you searching for ?
# 3  
Old 04-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgate
This question is strange....Most of the critical software is designed for Unix, what exactly do you searching for ?
i am not really searching for anything. i am working in the IT department of a company and today we got a call from a marketresearch company. my collegue did the interview with special interest on unix but he didn't know an answer on this question. we are thinking about this one f*** question the whole day but don't know an answer until now. so i thought maybe here someone could tell us Smilie

the original question:

And what mission critical workloads and applications functions are running on the UNIX operating system?
# 4  
Old 04-03-2007
The answer would be particular to your operation.

The answer here would be:
all A/R, CIS, and fileserver/network server. Desktops are all PC's with Windows XP.

I think you are reading more into the questions than needs to be. They want all apps that MUST run 24/7 for production to be successful. All of the above are setup to failover, we cannot have downtime.
# 5  
Old 04-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by styfo
what mission critical workloads and applications functions can run on the UNIX operating system?
That's a goofy question at best. You guys really spend time thinking about it? My knee jerk answer is "all mission critical workloads and applications functions" but I would need to add, "provided that they are not genuine real time applications". Unix, at its heart, is a time sharing OS, not a real time OS. I would not use it for real-time aps no matter how many real-time features people stick on.

Example of real-time ap: on the space shuttle, computers adjust the control surfaces many times per second. Adjust them too slowly and the shuttle will stall.
# 6  
Old 04-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Example of real-time ap: on the space shuttle, computers adjust the control surfaces many times per second. Adjust them too slowly and the shuttle will stall.
This also applies to spacecraft in general (ie sats) I know that the ESA uses vxworks for some suff and we use OSE for some of our realtime telecoms stuff.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Question about 2 specific functions

My professor has given me a couple of functions that I am to use to accomplish the task of replacing spaces in file and/or directory names with hyphens. (i.e. A B/C D/E F and you want to rename that to A B/C D/E-F would be an example of changing the file and leaving the directories) These are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skittlybop
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

3. Programming

Question About Multi-Processed Applications... fork()

Assume we have an application built on *nix that uses fork()...then the processes procedure is going to act as follow: X is considered a parent process (first click on application) Y is considered a child process of X (second click on application) Z is considered a child process of Y (third... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias's & Functions - simple question

Having a memory lapse: If I redefine a command using an alias or a function - How do I access the "real" command without specifying an absoulte path: i.e. function man { /usr/bin/man |more } alias ls='/usr/bin/ls -l' How do I specify the ls or man command above without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question