Operating Systems HP-UX swapinfo question
# 1  
Old 10-27-2005
swapinfo question

Hi All,

Here is output of swapinfo -t from a server which has been giving

TNS-00519: Operating system resource quota exceeded
HPUX Error: 12: Not enough space

The server has been stable for 7 days now since some more swap space was added.

2 questions

1. Will the above error occur again when the total use hits 100% currently at 95%

2. Why does the memory only state 4.7GB where the server has 6GB of physical memory.

Thanks for any info

Mat
Code:
$ swapinfo -t
             Kb      Kb      Kb   PCT  START/      Kb
TYPE      AVAIL    USED    FREE  USED   LIMIT RESERVE  PRI  NAME
dev     2146304  469820 1676484   22%       0       -    1  /dev/vg00/lvol2
dev     1687552       0 1687552    0%       0       -    2  /dev/vg00/lvswap1
dev     1687552       0 1687552    0%       0       -    2  /dev/vg00/lvswap2
reserve       - 4836664 -4836664
memory  4786844 4463044  323800   93%
total   10308252 9769528  538724   95%       -       0    -

Last edited by Perderabo; 10-27-2005 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Add code tags for readability
# 2  
Old 10-27-2005
Are you saying that this box is at 95% after adding swap? Smilie

1. You cannot use more than 100% of your virtual memory. If you try, some horrible error will occur. At the time this swapinfo was performed, the box was nearly out of virtual memory. Maybe that 1/2 GB left is enough, but if not, the box will be unable to create new processes.

2. Originally Unix required swap area for any virtual object. So you first 6 GB of swap would simply enable the use of your 6GB of physical memory. Any swap after that gives you additional space over the 6GB. Under this scheme, you could in theory swap everything out. You have the kernel parameter swapmem turned on (which is wise). So the kernel pretends that you have an extra swap area which is sized at 4.7 GB. This means that you no longer have enough real swap to completely empty memory. The kernel computes the size of this imaginary swap area as a fixed percentage of the physical memory size.

This box fully consumed physical memory some time ago. This does not affect stability but it can affect performance. To see how bad that is, you want to watch this box's scan rate. (sr in the vmstat display).
# 3  
Old 10-27-2005
Thanks very much for the info.

Cheers

Mat
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question

Hi, I'm new to unix and got struck here.Can any one help me out.My question is .. is the command if ; then echo "do some stuff" fi correct? Thanks in advance abhijeet (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet_Atti
18 Replies

2. Programming

C++ little question

Hi, I am doing a C++ self-study and I got stuck with this problem. I want to have a code that asks the suer to enter two numbers and then it lists the numbers between these two numbers. It has also to print a message if these two numbers are equal. Here is what I wrote: #include <iostream>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me these Question??

1. How the Unix system identify the Other User to access for file permission? 2. What command we use to convert the extension of a file name? 3. What command use to convert other editing file to Unix based text file? Please answer of these Question???Its necessary for me?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradipta_pks
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Swapinfo automation Alert script

I am new to unix scripting (HP-UX) and need to write a script for checking memory usage. I am using "ipcs -ma" and using "awk" to select specific colums and redirecting output to variable. /usr/bin/ipcs -ma | awk '{ print $5,$10,$12}' > $TMP_FILE exec < $TMP_FILE while read line; do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesBond007
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question

I need to write a script file that will tell me the largest number in a group of numbers. ANy help is greatly appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

question

how do i write a script that'll open what i entered and scan it for a certain line of text. for example, i enter a filename (that exists) and in that file i want to scan a certain word that'll show how much of that word appears throughout the file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrhenry
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

pstat call to get "swapinfo -at"

Hi, The swapinfo -at command gives the below information. TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME dev 4194304 0 4194304 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2 localfs 2048000 0 2048000 0% 2048000 0 1 /data/paging reserve - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshvadh
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi Question

In Vi, if I have a list of text, and i want to add a semi-colon to the end of each line, does anyone know how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Well, im getting it, but i have ONE question

Hay everyone, i would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to get a linux distro. As a newbie, Im defininately considering buying Mandrake Linux... I went to the site and phew..... 2300 applications, i think ill have a good time. But i do have a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question