New to servers

Operating Systems Solaris New to servers
# 1  
Old 01-03-2011
New to servers

Hey guys, I'm new to servers ( quite honestly, I'm not sure what i'm doing). Recently, I bought a Sunfire V100 to get me started. My goal is to learn how to set up a stable web hosting server where I can hold my clients' websites and also to learn a new field in Computer Science. I have a copy of Snow Leopard Server, which I think would be easiest to learn, but I'm not sure if my Sunfire supports it. I like SLS because I'm most familiar with Snow Leopard on Mac. So my main questions are, does the Sunfire V100 support SLS and what are the basics that I have to know before I continue this journey? Any help would be appreciated.
# 2  
Old 01-03-2011
The more important question is -- does SLS run on an UltraSPARC IIi based system.

Last edited by m.d.ludwig; 01-03-2011 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: (wrong chipset referenced)
# 3  
Old 01-03-2011
Thank you for the response.

In all honesty, I'm not sure. The requirements for SLS are: 2GB RAM (CHECK), Intel Processor (is UltraSPARC the processor?), and at least 10GB hard drive (CHECK).
# 4  
Old 01-03-2011
UltraSPARC is a type of processor, manufactured by Sun (now Oracle).
More can be found at UltraSPARC II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It is not an Intel clone.

Last edited by m.d.ludwig; 01-03-2011 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: more information from wikipedia
This User Gave Thanks to m.d.ludwig For This Post:
# 5  
Old 01-03-2011
Thank you for the information.

Next step I guess is to jump into research of Solaris. How hard would it be to set up web hosting with Solaris and at the same time monitor it remotely? I understand that the only way to do it direct is to plug it into one of the ethernet ports. Is there any other way or just direct?
# 6  
Old 01-03-2011
You can connect to the console via the serial port on the back of the V100. More information about how to setup and configure your system can be found at http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/816-2756-10/816-2756-10.pdf. I am not sure if Solaris-10 can be installed on a V100 (can anyone provide clues?), but you should do ok with Solaris-8.

You mentioned "client's websites" ... not to dissuade you from using the V100 for learning, but please give some thought about using a system that went EOL in 2006 for "production".
# 7  
Old 01-03-2011
I thought it was 2007 ;-)

Anyway, I know it's probably not the best option. I didn't really put much thought in it. For the future after I learn some more about setting up servers, what would you suggest for production? (THAT WON'T COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG)
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mapping Servers

Hi All, I need an urgent assistance please . My case below: I have a list of 500 IP addresses. All These ip addresses are mapped/connected to different machine kinds : NT, Linux, Switch, Router ,FW, and so on. My Requirement is to filter from all this ip address only the Linux machines.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: James Stone
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linked Servers

Hi, We have 2 UNIX Servers, say test1 and test2. Here, if I create a file or folder/delete a file or folder in the 1st server, it gets reflected automatically in the 2nd server. I don't think any links are established between these 2 servers. Both these have 2 different hostnames. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
1 Replies

3. Solaris

sun servers currently used

can anybody give me a list of sun servers currently being used in the industry (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veritas
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Servers and about them?

I want to learn about servers . I configured 3 virtual machines (Solaris , Linux and Windows) . I think this could be some kind of exchange of knowledge , and of course this could be a some kind of classroom for noobies :D! Ok now to the work ! My question is : what a server should... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scp between two servers

Is there a way to connect betwwen two servers A and B without using prompting for a password ..... I am writing a script which includes picking up files from and puts them to B. using mget .. To make the script fully automable I am looking for a passwordless authentication... Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

connecting servers

Please help me out i want to know how to send email from unix machine to any email-id. mail to be sent is web based mail. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parmeet
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc -l across two servers

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum so I dont really know how things work around here in terms of posting questions and getting answers. Anyway I have a question and I hop someone can help. Here is the scenario. I have a script that counts the amount of lines in serial files as well as multi... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ecclesiastes
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail servers

What protocol would i use to transfer mail between two UNIX mail servers? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agoemann23
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

name servers

ok, I chose dhcp when I set up my first solaris box. I can ping ip addresses. If I do a nslookup on a domain name and enter the ip address in my browser I get a web page. I want to know how and where to specify what dns servers to look @. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpnhavoc
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question