deleting another user's files

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting another user's files
# 1  
Old 07-04-2008
deleting another user's files

hi, I have two users, let us call them A and B.

I do as User A

touch tmpfile
chmod 700 tmpfile

Now as User B I do rm tmpfile - and it allows me to do it (after prompting me)...why?

If I had done chmod 777 tmpfile, then sure User B should be able to delete it, but I did chmod 700 tmpfile, so why was User B allowed to delete?

Thanks.
# 2  
Old 07-04-2008
Because whether or not you are allowed to delete a file depends on the rights (namely write) on the directory containing the file, not on the rights on the file itself. You can imagine a directory to be a file containing entries of the files in it.
# 3  
Old 07-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabtagon
Because whether or not you are allowed to delete a file depends on the rights (namely write) on the directory containing the file, not on the rights on the file itself. You can imagine a directory to be a file containing entries of the files in it.
In this case, what is the purpose to give rights directly to a file?

Thanks.
# 4  
Old 07-05-2008
>In this case, what is the purpose to give rights directly to a file?

What is the "delete" right on a file?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Deleting NIS user Solaris 8

ypcat passwd | grep "user" - shows the user userdel "user" says "user does not exist" What am I doing wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files

Hi I have an AIX server. I'm planning to use the below script to remove 60 days older files. find /path/ -mtime +60 -exec rm -f {} \; I just want to make sure it will only remove the files. I don't want the directories to be removed. If in case it will delete the directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files

Hi all, I have developed a shell script to copy the files from source to destination and simultaneously to delete the copied files in source. I can copy the files but the files cannot be deleted in source side. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help comparing two files and deleting some things in those files!

So I have two files: File1 pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2 pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2 ref4948 1.1 treehouse.txt 1.6 ref8573 1.5 ref3284 1.4 ref5838... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
24 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -k and deleting files

hi everybody, urgently need solutioin aftet i execute the command df -k, i get to see al the memory status blah blah if some file system has 95% full then what should i do and any help on how and what to do ? help really appriciated. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayr111
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Deleting files

OK, Easy question probably, I have a directory that is full of like 1000 files. I want to get rid of files more than 5 days old. Is there an easy way to do this? there are like 800 files that fit into this category so doing it manually would be a pain. Any help is appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a user session

I logged on yesterday and ran something that made my ID hang. I X'd out of the session and then logged on again and my ID from the original session is still there. I checked again this morning and the ID is still there (I checked using the WHO command). How can I kill that first session using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting root files from another user

I want to delete some files and directories owned by root from another different user in HP-UX 10.20. The list of files looks like: (user test) bash-2.03$ ls -alrt total 20 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: choo
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question