If statement for substring within string (korn)

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If statement for substring within string (korn)
# 1  
Old 07-05-2011
If statement for substring within string (korn)

Hi all,

Just looking for a simple if statement that searches for a substring within a varaible, and then performs some function.

Problem is that I need it to work in Korn shell

$var = *string* does not work in Korn

i="xxxxxx00.00yyyyy.zzzzz"

want to find 00.00
# 2  
Old 07-05-2011
Are you sure you have it right? It works in most korn shells, even many ksh88. Try:

Code:
var="123456789"
[[ "$var" == *234* ]] && echo "var matches

it should print "var matches".

If it doesn't, what is your system, what is your shell?

---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:57 AM ----------

For shells that don't, you can sometimes do:

Code:
if ! [ "${STR}" = "${STR/substring/}" ]
then
       echo "substring is inside ${STR}"

fi
# 3  
Old 07-05-2011
It seems as though that now works, perhaps a syntax error on my part at some point. I would like to use that argument to make some changes to filenames, however it appears as though I have some other errors as well.

Thank you for the help

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell script - SQL statement challenges

Hi scripting experts. I have some coding challenges that I'm hoping you can help me out. I have one file#1 that contains the following sql statement that spans over multiple lines: sql Select /*+ use_has(a,b) */ * from customer a, customer_address b where a.id = b.id... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchang
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass values to case statement in a function korn shell

I'm in the process of writng a function that consists of a case statement is there a way of calling the function and passing a value to it? ie function1 () { case opt1 do ..... opt2 do..... esac } function opt1 I'm aware the syntax is not correct, but you get the general idea. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

4. Programming

SQLPlus Case statement on a substring

Hi, I have an SQL query that returns a substring of a field and I want to work a case statement on it, but either I get a syntax error or in it's current manifestation the case is ignored all together. select distinct dbms_lob.substr(msg_body,1,4) as networkId, A_STATUS, count(*) from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chris01010
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Korn Shell script for substring printing

Hi all, I am new to scripting. I have a file with colon separated values called mylist.txt cat mylist.txt 192.123.76.89:lmprod89 162.122.20.28:lmtstserver28 10.80.32.139:hewprod139 . . using our internal os utility (called mvsping) we need to check all these servers if they are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shell to bash - statement not working

Everything else seems to be working, but this isn't. Is it the "cat..." that is wrong of the condition? Thanks. cat tc_result.txt | while read LINE do if then let "files_run += 1"; echo "inside the if loop" # save current filetype case $LINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem extracting substring in korn shell

hi all, I have read similiar topics in this board, but i didn' t find the posting which is the same with the problem i face.. I try to extract string from the end. i try to do this: num=abcdefghij num2=${num:-5} echo $num2 #this should print the last 5 characters (fghij) but it doesn;t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashrul
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shellscript execution context - exit statement

Hi all, Could someone please explain to me the shell invocation process when running a script. How do I stop the shell from logging out when it reaches an exit statement in the script? if ; then echo 'Failed to copy ${FILE}.fmx to ${J2_HOME}/dev/rsc' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: richgi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

10. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question