Explain the need for a semaphore in Linux kernel.

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Explain the need for a semaphore in Linux kernel.
# 1  
Old 09-23-2008

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux kernel 2.6.20?

Dear All Can you please let me know what is the Linux distribution name for kernel 2.6.20? Thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
4 Replies

2. Linux

Linux kernel

Hi All ! Is linux kernel preemptive or non-preemptive? My understanding is preemptive kernel. is it correct? Thanks & Regards Venkat Gopu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatgopu
4 Replies

3. Programming

Example for use of kernel semaphore

Hi friends I'm doing a project and in that I need to use kernel semaphore but I'm not very clear about how to use it. I've used system V semaphore. What I find difficult to understand is that in system V semaphore, a semaphore set is registered to the system (the semid returned from semget call... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Kernel 0.0.0.1

I'm looking to download the oldest version of the linux kernel that I can, just to look at it. Does anyone know where I can get it (or a slightyly later version) from? Any help on this quest would be great, thanks. Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
SEM_UNLINK(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     SEM_UNLINK(3)

NAME
sem_unlink - remove a named semaphore SYNOPSIS
#include <semaphore.h> int sem_unlink(const char *name); Link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
sem_unlink() removes the named semaphore referred to by name. The semaphore name is removed immediately. The semaphore is destroyed once all other processes that have the semaphore open close it. RETURN VALUE
On success sem_unlink() returns 0; on error, -1 is returned, with errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EACCES The caller does not have permission to unlink this semaphore. ENAMETOOLONG name was too long. ENOENT There is no semaphore with the given name. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. SEE ALSO
sem_getvalue(3), sem_open(3), sem_post(3), sem_wait(3), sem_overview(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-13 SEM_UNLINK(3)