Unix - Logs

Operating Systems HP-UX Unix - Logs
# 1  
Old 07-11-2005
Unix - Logs

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me, how to trace out user access to the Unix Server Machine, (i,e) I want to find out the user who had executed some commands to alter the cron file.

Regards
Nag
# 2  
Old 07-11-2005
I have not heard of anything like that for HPUX.

You need to restrict access to cron and at on your machine. They're dangerous in the security sense.
# 3  
Old 07-11-2005
Has system auditing been switched on ?

If you go into sam -> Auditing and Security. -> "Events."

It won't ask you if you need to convert to a trusted system. If it doesn't ask this then you should be able to find the information in audited users.. That's if the user your wanting to check has been audited against mind you !

This is on HP-UX, on Solaris you need to enable BSM..

Only other command i can think of is who to see who was on the system the time the cron was modified..

Hope this helps..

Kenny
# 4  
Old 07-12-2005
Thanks a lot Kenny & Jim. But,i have one more question,

How can i view the log files?

Last edited by nag_sundaram; 07-12-2005 at 04:53 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with UNIX logs file

I'm working on Logs Management System. it requires from all Unix servers to send their logs files to a specific (IP, Port). Please help me to get the right conf on logs files to send them to that IP and port. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. :o:o (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinan adra
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File transmission logs in UNIX

Can any one give a explaination with examples on how to understand file transmission log files in Unix for inbound and outbound traffic. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ITDev01
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get successful/unsuccessful FTP logs in UNIX

Hi, We have one UNIX Server (Sun Solaris), and the files coming to this server from another server. The problem is, that server is continously sending files to our server via FTP. But the observation is that some files missing in our Server but in that server it shows the files FTPed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash.rastogi
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unix Security - SU logs

Hi, Hope its good with everyone. I have the below su logs and i dont understand the bolded numbers. can someone help me please. Jul 24 11:55:50 su: - 8 username Jul 24 12:12:40 su: - 10 username Jul 26 11:15:32 su: - 7 username I understand these are failed logins but what does that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indraseng
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP Logs in Unix

Hi. Is there a way or command (other than netstat) in Unix to find out or get a list a users who FTP into a particular server? Like, say last 1000 users. I need to get the user ID (any info), who FTP to a particular server. netstat gives only the users who have an FTp session currently. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisendhil
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to view the unix logs in windows ??

Hi ! I have a FTP site, where I softlinked my server log file. Now I want to view the logs in IE as I do in unix Some kind of free tool should be there, Can somebody provide me a pointer. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
0 Replies

7. Linux

FTP Logs in Linux/Unix

Hi, I need to get a hostory of users who FTP into a server. How can I do it in Linux/Unix? Is there a command for this? I do not want to use netstat -a as it gives only the list of users who have a session currently on the server. Can this be done with the "last" command? Please do let me... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Logs in Unix

Hi. Is there a way or command (other than netstat) in Unix to find out or get a list a users who FTP into a particular server? Like, say last 1000 users. I need to get the user ID (any info), who FTP to a particular server. netstat gives only the users who have an FTp session currently. ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it possible to check logs in UNIX who deleted the files?

Hello, is it possible to check logs in UNIX who deleted the files? Is there logs in UNIX besides .sh_history? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james_falco
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Clear logs in unix sco 5.0.4

hi my name es juan i have sco open server 5.0.4 release i need clear the log files as wtmp thanks you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtapia
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question