equivalent of "seq" to make alpha list

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers equivalent of "seq" to make alpha list
# 1  
Old 12-15-2008
equivalent of "seq" to make alpha list

I frequently use the "seq" utility, in combination with sed, to generate sequential lists with numbers.

Is there a utility devoted to making sequential lists with letters?
***-a
***-b
***-c
***-d

Or is this typically done with the shell functions?
Just wondering where to start looking.

Cheers!
# 2  
Old 12-15-2008
Hi.

This could be done with awk, perl, shell, but you might also have access to:
Code:
NAME
       jot - print sequential or random data

SYNOPSIS
       jot [ options ] [ reps [ begin [ end [ s ] ] ] ]

DESCRIPTION
       Jot  is  used to print out increasing, decreasing, random, or redundant
       data, usually numbers, one per line.

--excerpt from man jot

For example:
Code:
#!/bin/bash -

# @(#) s2       Demonstrate feature.

echo
echo "(Versions displayed with local utility \"version\")"
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && version "=o" $(_eat $0 $1) jot
set -o nounset

echo
echo " Results:"
jot -w '***-%c' 5 101

exit 0

Producing:
Code:
% ./s2

(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
Linux 2.6.11-x1
GNU bash 2.05b.0
jot - no version provided for /usr/bin/jot.

Results:
***-e
***-f
***-g
***-h
***-i

cheers, drl
# 3  
Old 12-15-2008
As drl said, some shells support brace expansion:

Code:
$ zsh -c 'setopt braceccl; printf "***-%s\n" {a-z}'

or:

Code:
$ bash -c 'printf "***-%s\n" {a..z}'

Code:
ksh93 -c 'printf "***-%s\n" {a..z}'

With Perl Smilie

Code:
perl -le'$a="a";print "***-",$a++ for 1..26'

# 4  
Old 12-15-2008
Very succint and informative answers. Thank you!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from "list1" and list matches in "list2"

I want to print any matching IP addresse in List1 with List 2; List 1 List of IP addresses; 161.85.58.210 250.57.15.129 217.23.162.249 74.76.129.101 30.221.177.237 3.147.200.59 170.58.142.64 127.65.109.33 150.167.242.146 223.3.20.186 25.181.180.99 2.55.199.32 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent to Perl's and Bash's "=~" Operator?

Hello All, Alright, so this is driving me absolutely insane. I can't seem to find this ANYWHERE... I've tried every combination and synonym I can think of for this trying to search Google. What is the Expect/Tcl equivalent to Perl and Bash's "=~" operator, (i.e. the "contains" operator).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the ksh equivalent to bash's "history -c" command?

Hi, What is the korn shell equivalent of bash shell's "history -c" command? I do know, how to clear the history list in ksh, I can do the following: > ~/.sh_historybut still, I am interested to know the single one line command as 'history -c' gives error on my ksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make scipt except from "Y","y" and "yes" to take [Enter] as being "yes"

This is the script: #!/bin/sh if ; then rm -rf /usr/share/WallpaperChanger; fi if ; then rm -rf /usr/bin/wallch; fi; if ; then rm -rf /usr/share/applications/wallch.desktop; fi if ; then rm -rf /usr/share/doc/wallch; fi if ; then rm -rf /usr/share/man/man1/wallch.1.gz; fi echo "Delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

7. Programming

how could i make a program mixed with many "|", "<" and ">"

I have written following code to do: ls -l | wc -w, it works: but when there are not only a single "|", if there are more such as: ls -l | sort -r | sort | sort -r, This program does not work, i want to know how could i deal with it when there are more "|", another situation is that, if it mixes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: strugglingman
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"./cofigure" and "make" turmoil

I am a Unix newbie and I downloaded some X11 programs. I have gcc, but I cannot compile the files. I NEED HELP!!!! :confused: (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question