Directory colors

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directory colors
# 1  
Old 07-26-2006
Directory colors

Hey guys,

When I used a Solaris box way back I had directory, file , symbolic link colors, etc... I can't seem to find the .dircolors file and how i set it up for bash on Solaris... anyone remember how to do it?

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 07-29-2006
It sounds like you were using the GNU version of ls.
# 3  
Old 09-14-2006
Yep here it is!

coreutils-5.97-sol9-sparc-local.gz GNU Coreutils are a set of basic file, shell, and text manipulation utilities for the GNU operating system that are expected to exist on every operating system. Previously, they were offered as three individual distributions: fileutils, shellutils, and textutils - installs in /usr/local. You may need to install libiconv to use this package.

http://www.sunfreeware.com/indexsparc9.html

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Ncurses colors

I am using ncurses to develop a user interface. Perhaps I should be using something else, but I am reasonably comfortable with ncurses and don't really want to climb another learning curve at this time. One problem I have dealt with for many years is ncurses' colors. I have simply been... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: BillLee
23 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Colors not being Interpreted

Hello, I am having an issue with ANSI colors in Redhat linux. I am running a script where the colours have been set very early on as follows: # Reset Color_Off='\033 Later in the script these are used to color define sections of output by reffering to them using: ${White} blah blah blah... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pedro72
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Vim colors in HP-UX

I am using xterm on my HP-UX system (11i). Color is working in xtrem, i can see that with the -color option on ls. When I use vim's syntax high lighting, instead of colors, it uses underline and bold (which looks horrible). I added the following if &term =~ "xterm" if has("terminfo") ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kheisler
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

auto change filemanager folder colors dependent on location in directory hierarchy

Hello, Is it possible to make a file manager use different "colored folders" when browsing specific directories? For example, if I open a gnome file manager and browse my windows share at, smb://192.168.1.101/z/ , can I make those folders appear green? And when I open another instance of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bz43
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using colors in mailx

I want to use notify_fail () { echo " " >> ${MSG} echo " Script failed n">> ${MSG} cat ${MSG}|mailx -s "t1.ksh Success: "name@domain.com" exit 1 } I want script failed to show in Red or different colors in the email that i sent to name@domain.com I serached several sites and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konark
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Colors

Is there a way with the bourne shell to have different types of files show up a different color when you do ls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: resullivan
1 Replies

7. Linux

linux colors

what dog gone file is setting these colors! i dont see it in bashrc or bash_profile!! anyone know? alias cp='cp -i' alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias ll='ls -l --color=tty' alias ls='ls --color=tty' alias mv='mv -i' alias rm='rm -i' alias vi='vim' alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Console colors

Guys i used to the black background in BSD, now im using Sun Solairs, how can i change the background and font colors in console ?, i heard about setterm but i didnt get the right syntax, any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
5 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

colors

Hello, I am somewhat new to linux. I just installed Red Hat 7.2 and when I try to load gnome or KDE in colors above 8bit it will kind of lock up and display some wierd scrambled cable look. I have an ATI Radeon 7000. I check out my monitor settings they are fine. Is it the graphics card? I set my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sage3k
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

xterm colors

I'm a new user to unix and I want to be able to pick and choose different xterm colors via 3rd botton menu. I'm currently pico'd into my .fvwm2rc file and this is what I have under my bottons: Please advise ############ # Button 1 #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blica777
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question