FreeBSD filesystem is full error by Noob

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FreeBSD filesystem is full error by Noob
# 1  
Old 03-26-2008
Bug FreeBSD filesystem is full error by Noob

Hello, Max here, I have installed FreeBSD on a compaq Intel box an have filesystem problems. I am now on install number 3 and encounter the same error. This time after DL the ports list and DL a number of programs the DL stopped and I got an error message that the filesystem is full I am looking for the exact message for more clarity but also have recent messages too.
Back to my system (shes called Pipi) well Pipi restarted and then I started getting the messages or system check results you know the usual two messages. Then I started X (startx with no config this time) it started ok. Then dillo would not start it gave me this error --->>

$dillo
./usr: write failed, filesystem is full
dillo_dns_init: herewego! (threaded)
Cookies: could not create file:/home/mxxxxx(user)/.dillo/cookiesrc!

Segmentation fault
$

search of the web revealed a command like this-->
# cd /usr
#du -d 1 | sort -n

results were given -->

2 ./.snap
2 ./games
2 ./obj
2 ./libdata
98 ./home
15024 ./sbin
17004 ./include
"""""
""
""
""
""
""
""
576,206 ./local
1,413,614 ./ports
2,511,002 . (no entry)

Oh I also found poster who says that the root user should have at least 8% disk space to avoid becoming full and allow the admin to go to work to fix the problem. (dumping files I guess)

So I try the portclean command in man man and its not there?
I can not install any more programs cuz I have no more room to use....Smilie
tried rebooting at least once still not getting dillo up to work.

System specs compaq presario with FreeBSD 7.0 iso1 downloaded and burned to a CD as requested by handbook
P-4 22.39 GHz
integrated graphics
linksys NIC on PCI slot
no other OS alive on system.
thanks for any and all helpSmilie
# 2  
Old 03-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bsd
*I* have no time today to write a lot but... others might.
what is your diskspace? post the results of "df -a"
what do you mean by "download the ports list?" the usual best
way to install ports (vs programs/ packages/) is to install
the ports tree, update same, then install ports/packages singly.
what ports were they?
cd /usr/ports/distfiles
ls -lac | less
does that show large files you could remove that you won't use? tho
you might need to download them again.
better to get an overview of each process from *web guides* (
freebsdwiki.net comes to mind) to make steps easier.
I often search groups.google.com with text like...Smilie

"disk space" full freebsd 2007 OR 2008

...to get answers similarly (easier than forums maybe) but google itself
can give additional info and often loads pages quicker.
Hi again,
Total disk space is 80 GB on hard drive
I have added extra disk space as of the third (yes three stop laughing Smilie ) install. So that this problem would not occur if more space is available. But alas that was not the case. I can give more info on all the slice allocation once I exit the last command that u gave me. I seem to be stuck in a command.

Here is the error we have all been waiting for the one that displayed when the downloads stopped......>
Failed to create Dir 'freetype/builds': No such file or directory Can't create 'freetype/builds/detect.mk: No such fileor directory/freetype/builds/Mac/tar. Error exit delayed from previous errors.

***ERROR CODE 1
Stop in?usr/ports/www/amaya. Error code 1

Results of df -a

[B]Filesystem 1 K blocks Used Avail Cap Mounted on
[B]/dev/ad0s3a 964398 131608 755640 15% /
devfs 1 1 0 100% /dev
/dev/ad0s3d 1,934,798[1,934,798]-154782[109%] /usr
/dev/ad0s3e 1,934,798[576,206] 1,203,810 [32%]/usr/local
/dev/ad0s3f 1,934,798[89,596] 1,690,420 [5%] /var

you are right about the ports tree thats it. But my firewall was misconfigured to use strict UDP or something like that and had bad connection. meanwhile, every time I tried to add a program a check mark was added to the sysinstall, for more programs. After the firewall was fixed I try sysinstall it saw all programs I wanted to DL and it ran through the night stopping only for options advice on certain programs. Next morning more DL s then it got stuck in the error shown above.

And the answer to you last question is here 'What ports were they?'
starting with the first batch all typed in by hand mind you Smilie
Total 103064
separated by ^
drwxr-xr-x^5^root wheel^3072 [mar 25 ] 8:09
drwxr-xr-x^69^root wheel^1536 [3-23]20:31..
-rw-r--r--^1^root wheel^190924[3-25]Archive-Zip-1.23.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--^1^root wheel^42783[3-24] Author-SASL-2.10.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--^1^root wheel^238383[3-24]CGI.pm-3.33.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--^1^root wheel^15254[3-25]ClassErrorHandler-0.01.

More Later but I need to know how to exit that command {last one} so I can shutdown -h now.
# 3  
Old 03-27-2008
Yet more listings of whats mucking up the works.......
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^207488[3-24]Compress-Raw-zlib-2.008.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^63812 [3-24]Compress-zlib-2.008.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^68071 [3-25]00:07 Convert-ANSI-0.21.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^84573 [3-25]23:27 Convert-BinHex-1.119.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^20836 [3-25]00:07Convert-PEM-0.07.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^22249 [3-25]00:08Crypt-CBC-2.24.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^15369 [3-25]00:08Crypt-DES-2.05.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^2328 [3-25]00:08Crypt-DES_EDE3-0.01.tar
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^31595 [3-25]00:07Crypt-DSA-0.14.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--1^root wheel^122980 [3-24]23:27Crypt-SSLeay-0.57.tar.gz

How about a command to delete some of the less important entries please???
I will continue tomorrow to list entries if needed. right now... yawn.....I think I need some rest.Smilie
see ya
# 4  
Old 03-27-2008
Looks like you made the /usr partition much too small. The others have plenty of space so you should probably just repartition. If it's a small home system with a single physical disk, you might as well lump everything in one big happy partition.

Those files you have been looking at are not particularly large; you are not using your time effectively.
# 5  
Old 03-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
Looks like you made the /usr partition much too small. The others have plenty of space so you should probably just repartition. If it's a small home system with a single physical disk, you might as well lump everything in one big happy partition.

Those files you have been looking at are not particularly large; you are not using your time effectively.
The user partition is 1.8G in size which was increased from about700M in the last install (this was supposed to solve the file system is full problem but it didnot). The handbook even advised to add the /usr/local (slice?) weighing in at another 1.8G in size Plus also advised to add /var to prevent the / (root) slice from getting too full. Even if I reformat and reinstall at some point i will need to know how to delete files or DL programs which i have a lot of right now. Sorry I dont know how to repartition in FreeBSD in windows i would just use partition magic or disk management.
as for the one big partition i go through setup and it tells me to set partitions then it tells me to setup slices .... and this system will have another OS win XP home (yes install it first then FreeBSD to keep the boot intact)
I will have to try the one big partition and maybe let freeBSD auto config the slices too? or whole drive as ther is no rush to install windows yet I have it on another system.
Can anyone tell me how to display files(other than ls) and then delete them as this is the crux of my problem right now.... thanks I have to go now..Smilie
as the say Regards
# 6  
Old 03-27-2008
As a really ad hoc solution you could move some part -- say /usr/X11R6 -- to /var and put a symlink in place to allow stuff to continue to work. This is not pretty but as a temporary arrangement it might help you get back on track.
# 7  
Old 03-29-2008
At last

Well, I am searching now and have a few strategies including the backup strategy, in case of failure. Not that there is anything of value on this system, rather starting to make practice backups for the real disaster. Now like you said create a new partition and then format to the current file system FreeBSD is using. I can achieve this with sysinstall or the rescue disk that I have DL and have burned to disk. I am searching for the information to transfer the /usr to the new partition. Thanks I will prevail over this minor problem.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to resolve Filesystem Full?

I have experienced Filesystem full (%iused = 100%) as below. I have tried to remove a lot of garbage but it still become full soon. # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem       iused    ifree  %iused  Mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0  512000     0   100%  / /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3   1887   382113   0%  /cms Other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwordCar
4 Replies

2. AIX

Livedump filesystem almost full

Guy's I'm getting this message Livedump filesystem almost full in errpt logs and its meanning this file system /var/adm/ras/livedump /var has more than 1.5 GB free space .. why I'm getting that message and .. Pls advice to to avoide it ---------- Post updated 03-21-11 at 01:39 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Filesystem Full

In our shop we have to run a batch cycle. Every so often while we are running batch we get a filesystem full situation that causes batch to stop or slow down. Anyway, the practiced procedure is to look for large files and zip them. This takes a lot of time. We are in a sun solaris environment. What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
1 Replies

4. AIX

/var filesystem is full

Hi, Is there a way to clear the temp files from /var/tmp? Is root access required to delete the files? Thanks, Narayan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesystem is full

Hello everybody, a very basic question. Inspite of me deleting huge files in a filesystem(AIX 5.3) in oracle folder, the filesystem when i check using df -k still shows 100% full. Does that mean there is a process still pointing to the files which i deleted. how do i work around this. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

/ filesystem getting full

Hi All, How do I increase the root filesystem? It's getting full. / 90% Here's the break down, below 232 dev 5624 tmp *6764 bin 16860 root *19680 sbin *20436 lib64 28329 boot *47992 etc 150012 var *254540 lib 651708 home *2445044 usr (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesystem full

my root filesystem is eventually full "/dev/rdsk/c1d0s0" as a result i cannot boot to the operating system, i booted into the fail safe mode to check the space using df -h command i discover that it is eventually full. Also to my amazement i found that i cannot see the filesystem which mounted on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

8. Solaris

The filesystem is still full - Solaris 10!

Good morning, sir! I've a problem with FileSystem, the problem is FileSystem is full First time, I've already read carefully the sticky thread FileSystem full - What to lock for https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/25840-filesystem-full-what-look.html And then, I will post some information of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filesystem Full

I noticed that whenever something is printed from my workstation, the available disk space in the /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 decreases considerably. Hence, after using my workstation for sometime, I encounter an error message: "Filesystem Full" that prevents me from printing any further. Is there a way to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilak1008
16 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question