aix nologin shell

Operating Systems AIX aix nologin shell
# 1  
Old 11-08-2006
aix nologin shell

is the nologin shell available in AIX 5.2? I am familiar with the nologin shell in linux and restricting shell access but still allowing ftp etc. Can this be done in AIX? I have not been able to locate any documentation. Thanks in advance
# 2  
Old 12-13-2006
I am not sure I am following your question, however on all the AIX systems I have ran over the years I have used /etc/ftpusers file as a deny users to ftp...
I have read of many ways to do this but this is the only one I have used.
...I use “smit users” and change the logs rights to stop telnet etc:

Is this user ACCOUNT LOCKED? false +
User can LOGIN? true +
User can LOGIN REMOTELY(rsh,tn,rlogin)? true +

is this were you are going?
# 3  
Old 12-13-2006
Thanks for the reply, what is needed is a way for a user to be able to ftp into the server, but not telnet/ssh. I was under the understanding that if I set the 'user can login remotely' to false, they would not be able to ftp in. If this is incorrect or if you know of another way to set this up, please let me know. thanks
# 4  
Old 12-13-2006
i am talking abit off the top of my head...
but you could set up a .profile that logs the user right out and make the perms on the file so that they can not mod etc. then as long as the account has ftp access i.e. no entery in /etc/ftpusers or what ever you have configured to block ftp access. I did something like this in the past however i was not using ssh or anything at the time. Thus i am not sure it will work in this case. sorry kind of a hoky way of locking down access.

PS i also echoed a smiple message in the .profile saying no access to this sytem...
exit
# 5  
Old 12-15-2006
If you leave /etc/nologin file, no user other than root can login to that machine. To restrict shell access but ftp, I normall setup some shell scripts in the profile.
# 6  
Old 12-16-2006
Even easier is to change the login shell in /etc/passwd to /bin/false this is not impeding ftp-access but disallows shell login in any form (rlogin, telnet, ssh, etc.)

bakunin
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

System shell nologin script required

Hi Part of our security audit we found that following system account's had shells configured; sync halt shutdown I believe this can be achieved by following commands: chsh -s /sbin/nologin (user) usermod -s /sbin/nologin (user) However, I would like simple script to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gamma
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script in AIX

Hi , Good Morning every one !!! I am very new to this forum and new to Shell Script as well , hope some script Guru's will help me . I have a requirment to write a shell script . The requirment is like this . There are couple of shell scripts scheduled in the Crontab (some scripts run... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dilipd21
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH with a nologin account

Is it possible to SSH with an account that has its shell set to /sbin/nologin? The reason I ask is because I am running an instance of nagios where I need to use SSH keys to run a check, but I am getting connect errors in Nagios. Also, what is the risk I run into if I just simply change my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding user with nologin

Hi, Need one clarification.. If suppose, I have disabled the login to a particular user XXX, but not deleted the user. So the scripts which must be executed using the user XXX can still be executed using that user or is it not possible..? In our tasks, we are disabling the user XXX, and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpu
1 Replies

6. AIX

AIX and Secure Shell

I just installed 5.3 TL0 on a B50 server. I need to get ssh installed. I tried the links at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openssh-aix] I downloaded openssh_5.2p1_aix53.tar and openssh-4.5_srcpatch.tar. The installation failed. The notes say that this was compiled for TL 8, and mine is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geekasaurus
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script on AIX

Hi! I have made a simple script for writing the following line on a file (file.txt): list= 1 2 3 and thr script looks like this: N=3 ll=(1 2 3) echo -n "list= ">> file.txt j=0 while ; do echo -n ${ll}" ">> file.txt let j++ done The code works fine on Linux,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl.alv
3 Replies

8. Programming

Porting of Shell to AIX

Hi All, I would like to know of the steps needed for the implementation of a shell in AIX. This shell is written by one of our developers and is currently running in Solaris. This needs to be ported to AIX. Does any of you guys know the implementation steps to do this. If so please do let me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
5 Replies

9. Solaris

nologin shell on Solaris?

I'm setting up a Solaris 10 box to run Lawson application, which needs users to have Unix acounts, but the users will not be using interactive shell. To make it more secure, I'd rather not give them a valid shell. I know there's a trick by putting /noshell in the /etc/passwd file, but the problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
2 Replies

10. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question