vsftp problems

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vsftp problems
# 1  
Old 02-21-2007
vsftp problems

Hi! I came across this site and was hoping someone could help me. I currently have a site that is hosted on a Virtual Dedicated Server running Fedora Core 4. This morning, while loading up files via Dreamweaver ftp I lost my connection. I contacted my hosting company and they said that I should reboot my server. I explained that I had just done this as my site was down most of the night. They said to try and restart the vsftp service via my control panel and that didn't work either. They then said do another reboot. Again, nothing. They pushed it to the Advanced Hosting Team and they told me that its a configuartion problem with vsftp and that I should find something on the internet to help me. Basically, if I don't pay for additional support they won't offer any help.

With all that said, I've looked all over the place to find help. I haven't touched unix/linux in years so trying to find logs and errors is a little beyond me. I barely remember how to use SSH. Please, any advice would be appriciated. I could always wipe the HD clean and restart my server, but that won't teach me anything. Can anyone help?
# 2  
Old 02-27-2007
Computer vsftp

ssh into your server, type: ps -ef|grep vsftp to see if it is running, should come back with two lines if it is. One will be the vsftpd process the other will be the grep. If it is not running, then su to root: type: /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd start if it errors out you will see the reason for the failure.
# 3  
Old 03-03-2007
Thanks. I got it to work. It was the vsftpd.conf file. For some reason it got changed. I had to add listen=YES back into the file. Works great now, but the only problem is that now I can't ftp from my Dreamweaver app. I'm using WISE-FTP now, but I do miss having it all on one screen.
# 4  
Old 03-03-2007
What errors are you having now

What errors did you encounter? Smilie
# 5  
Old 03-05-2007
Well, it started after I had uploaded on file (no problems) then uploaded another file (lost connection). It was right after a server reboot. I couldn't start, stop, or restart vsftpd using any means. I finally read somewhere to try editing the vsftpd.conf file to add background=YES, listen=YES (or something like that, ref vsftpd man pages for proper background/listen settings).

After I added those I was able to stop, then restart vsftp using SSH and was able to finally perform ftp agin using IE ftp or Wise-FTP. Still can't connect with Dreamweaver, but I'm not too worried about it. I keep getting "can't establish connection, blah, blah, blah...." I just use Wise-FTP now. It's just a headache bouncing back and forth, but I'll live.
# 6  
Old 06-01-2007
I have problem with my vsftpd too:
I have 2 the same linux boxes with opensuse 10.2 with vsftpd.
The vsftpd.sonf and ./xinetd.d/vsftpd are the same. My home linux box with works perfectly but the second doesn't. I looked for problems everywhere: /etc/ftpusers /etc/host.allow /etc/host.deny /var/log/messages ...
I use public accounts on 2 boxes. They are with equivalent privileges and are in the same folders /srv/ftp/public.
When I try to connect to the problematic vsftpd with Konqueror I become this"Could not enter folder", if I try with Firefox the error is: "425 Security. BAD IP connecting", with IE there is timeout error.

I don't have firewall. Any help will be great! Thanks in advance.

PS:
this was my try to make connection with fileziila client to vsftpd:
Connecting to ftp.xxxxxx.xx:9021 ...
Status: Connected with ftp.xxxxxx.xx:9021. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
Command: USER public
Response: 331 Please specify the password.
Command: PASS ******
Response: 230 Login successful.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Features:
Response: EPRT
Response: EPSV
Response: MDTM
Response: PASV
Response: REST STREAM
Response: SIZE
Response: TVFS
Response: 211 End
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/"
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Switching to ASCII mode.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,169,99,11,242,161)
Command: LIST
Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing
Command: TYPE I
Error: Timeout detected!

Last edited by zhivko.neychev; 06-01-2007 at 12:15 PM..
# 7  
Old 06-01-2007
Check permissions on that directory, try without passive. Double check to be sure that something like SeLinux or the iptables is not set and blocking connections. I'm short on time right now, will get back to this later.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

VSFTP Anonymous users

Hi all, Im trying to enable anonymous users to upload files, e.g. i like my cisco router to upload config files ... for now iv i have file in /pub/upload/test.txt i can download the file from windows pc but if i like to to upload iv got this error im testing with windows pc but the same iv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IvanMP
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vsftp upload error

# Example config file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf # # The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file # loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable. # Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults. # # READ THIS: This example file is NOT an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ment0smintz
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

vsftp with chroot and symbolic link to folder

Hello, I installed 'vsftpd' and scrolled through the config file. I liked to change the chroot-setting. Now I can't connect to a subfolder anymore - it is a link to a subfolder to my mainfolder for the www-content ( /var/www/userxxx ). Is there a way to use chroot und use links to folders at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

vsftp | active and passive ftp | iptables

I am using vsftp but I can't login with passive mode. I can only login with active mode. I can login with both mode when service of iptables is stop. In active mode : 20,21 must be open from server site. 1023 and over must be open at client site. In passive mode : only 21,1023 and over must be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getrue
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

reload vsftp service

Is there a easy-to-use graphical tool (or a simple and direct set of command line instructions) that will help me reload services on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES version 3? VSFTPD keeps dying on my business server - seemingly at random, with message "dead but subsys locked" VSFTPD starts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdarby77
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Vsftp

How do I assign an ftp user a default home directory such as /data/share upon login so they may not be able to traverse the filesystem (ie /) in vsftp? TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aikora92
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vsftp in CentOS fails to start

service of vsftpd is not starting .I m using centos 5 please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj@Innodata
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PAM and vsftp interaction

If I use to PAM to validate a vsftp user using a remote service to do the validation and the user does not exist on the system locally, then what becomes the home directory for the user logging in via vsftp? Assuming that chroot_user_list is enable to limit all users to their home directory. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisC
0 Replies

9. Solaris

vsftp is not working only when i ftp from windows server

Hello Gurus, Naif is implemented for only for port 21 for few windows servers. I have made my linux 5.1 as my FTP server. After installing vsftpd i could ftp from other linux server. linux to linux (ftp server) But same when i ftp from other windows server which only port 21 is enabled.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTP oddity

I am using smartFTP client on my windows machine to connect to a linux box of mine (different location) to download some large files 100+meg. The linux box is running vsftp. After several minutes of downloading, the connection suddenly dies, and I cannot reconnect to the box via FTP using ANY... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question