How to delete last character of a line?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete last character of a line?
# 1  
Old 06-20-2005
Question How to delete last character of a line?

Hello,
I think I'm close to doing this, but I could be wrong.
I have a string I would like to search for and delete the last character of the that line.
This is what I have...
sed 's/POHEAD\(.\)$//g' tempd > tempe

The above works if I search for P, but that won't work. I need to search for POHEAD.

thnx,
# 2  
Old 06-20-2005
Code:
sed '/POHEAD/ s/.$//' tempd > tempe

# 3  
Old 06-20-2005
Thank you very muchSmilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Numbers, Spaces, Special Character from the begining of the line of a file

Hi All, I want to keep the name of the songs with their respective extensions only. Sample Code ======== 03 Choti choti gaiya choti choti gaval.mp3 03---Brazil Dhol.mp3 03 PAYALIYA .mp3 04 - Isq Risk .mp3 04%20-%20Oh%20My%20Love(wapking.in).mp3 08 - A2 - Aasan Nahin Yahan .mp3 AE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete extra character in a line?

And I want to delete the characters longer than 20 for each line start with #. The other lines should remain the same. I think this can be done by sed. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks! my input file: #ZP_05494889.1_Clostridium_papyrosolvens... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete new line character ( - ) , korn shell

Hi guys , i need help so bad on this issue.. Basically i have to delete the line continuation symbol of first column variable and add the truncated part of that word in next line to first line. here i written sample 3 lines but originally i have bunch of lines in that file. client1_day- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismorgan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete the line started with nondigit or newline character

i want to delete the line which is not started with numeric in vim. vim temp.txt Volume in drive D is DATA Volume Serial Number is 8C52-2055 Directory of D:\data\notes 02/16/2010 03:09 PM <DIR> . 02/16/2010 03:09 PM <DIR> .. 09/11/1999 03:03 AM ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete character in a line

Hi, Please help me to edit a file, with the following changes, 1) serach for XYZ , appears at the start of line, delete a character present in specified column number in a line. 2) This needs to be repeated in multiple rows and not the entire file Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abc_81
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete a line based on first character of the line

Hi, I need to delete all lines in a file which starts with "|" character. Can some one assist me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question