Is it safe to install x86 Solaris 10 U6 after installed-Linux-and-FreeBSD?

Operating Systems Solaris Is it safe to install x86 Solaris 10 U6 after installed-Linux-and-FreeBSD?
# 1  
Old 07-17-2019
Is it safe to install x86 Solaris 10 U6 after installed-Linux-and-FreeBSD?

I've installed Slack 14.2 on /dev/sda1 (/dev/sda2 is swap) and FreeBSD 12 on /dev/sda3 and lilo is the boot manager.

FreeBSD slices are as follows;
Code:
/ on /dev/ada0S3a, swap on /dev/ada0s3e, /var on /dev/ada0s3b, /tmp on /dev/ada0s3d and /usr on /dev/ada0s3f.

I hesitate to install Solaris 10 update 6 after the existing partitions (/dev/sda4 or /dev/ada0s4) lest Solaris deletes or corrupts the Linux/FreeBSD partitions.

Will it be safe to install Solaris here?
# 2  
Old 07-18-2019
You should install on an entirely different main partition.

Please post your entire fdisk list of your partition table.
# 3  
Old 07-19-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectrum
I hesitate to install Solaris 10 update 6 after the existing partitions (/dev/sda4 or /dev/ada0s4) lest Solaris deletes or corrupts the Linux/FreeBSD partitions.

Will it be safe to install Solaris here?
I would recommend to avoid doing it. If you properly tell Solaris where to install itself, i.e. a free primary partition, existing file systems and data stored on other primary partitions won't be affected. However, Solaris installs its own version of grub, overwriting existing stage 1 boot loaders, so you would need to manually reconfigure Solaris grub to be able to boot existing Linux or FreeBSD's OSes or to chain their boot loaders, which might not be simple.

A much simpler approach would be to install Solaris as a virtualized VM. Solaris 10 works just fine under VirtualBox.
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris Live Media x86 Install

Unix Buddies Burned download to DVD-R. Booted it. It dropped me at a command line. Is it working properly? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris User
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Apache Install error on Solaris 10 x86

I am trying to install apache on a sun server (Solaris 10 x86) but when I execute the compile i have the following error; configure failed for srclib/apr Can anybody help with this. Thanks for the usual help oh-daa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oh-daa
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem after Install SUN solaris x86

after install solaris x86 on my computer success, but it can't boot. When the machine start, and i choose option 1 - default, it shows "W" on screen and system restart . Anyone can help me. My computer : dual core - 1gb ram - x86 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
7 Replies

5. Solaris

just installed Solaris 10 x86

Hi, I've just installed solaris 10 on one of my old PC's (a 1ghz 256M PC). I think the installation worked ok but when I reboot it I can only login via the command line console and not the nice CDE interface. Has anyone seen this before? Its probable something simple I'm doing wrong. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install drivers Solaris 10 x86

I am trying to figure out a way to install drivers for a network card. I have a 3C905C-TXM 3Com card that appeared to check out on Solaris's Web Site. I found what I thought was a driver, although that may not be the case, because the instructions asked me to copy-and-paste the contents into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jody
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clustering solution for RH Linux AS and Solaris x86/AMD 64

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 and Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle, Veritas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to install Solaris 9 on X86

HI All, I have three solaris disks: disk 1 & 2 and "image" disk. However, no instructions for installation on x86 came with them. (I downloaded from SUN.) I've searched far and wide on the net trying to find instructions for installing Solaris on my PII 500 mhz intel machine, but have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help.. i just installed freebsd

okey.. i was looking to run a mud.. Multi user Dungeon of my server.. i am not sure how to add users.. could someone please help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swifty
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question