Whats the meaning of this code

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Whats the meaning of this code
# 1  
Old 03-20-2006
Whats the meaning of this code

Hi all,
I am unable interpret this code .........

nohup $OPSSHLPATH/mkt_sas_load_cic.sh $db_name $process_id $loc_mm > $OPSLSTPATH/mkt_sas_load_cic.out &

Thanks ....In advance
# 2  
Old 03-20-2006
nohup keeps a command running even after user logs off, & runs the script in background and > direct the standar output to mkt_sas_load_cic.out

Bye.
# 3  
Old 03-21-2006
nohup keeps a command running even after connection to any server breaks or user logs off and it keeps the script running inbackground, would make the out file as mkt_sas_load_cic.out in your scripts case.
# 4  
Old 04-03-2006
When you people say "will keep the command running" do you mean until completion ? Or does it make it so like an infinitive loop (i.e. the command will run, and after completion, run again and again and again..) ?
# 5  
Old 04-03-2006
It means until completion.

Regards.
# 6  
Old 04-03-2006
Thanks. So, this means that, say I have a script called whatever.sh that takes like 1 hour to complete, I run nohup thescript and it will run the script even if I exit the terminal afterwards ? kind of putting the script in the background with &, right ?
# 7  
Old 04-03-2006
When you exit a session, any processes running are sent a HUP signal. Unless the process is ignoring the signal it will exit upon receipt of SIGHUP. The nohup command is one way of protecting processes from this signal.

That has almost nothing to do with foreground/background processes. A foreground process can read characters from /dev/tty while a background process cannot. You can type your interrupt character, usually Control-c. to send SIGINT to all foreground processes. I don't believe that any nohup command will protect jobs from SIGINT. (A few nonstardard nohup commands exist that protect jobs from SIGTERM or SIGQUIT. This violates the Posix standard.)

HUP stands for hang-up. You used to dial up to Unix systems with a modem. You would disconnect by "hanging-up" the connection.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of the following Perl Code?

Hi All Can any one please help me to understand the below Perl Code package Win32::File; # # File.pm # Written by Douglas_Lankshear@ActiveWare.com # # subsequent hacks: # Gurusamy Sarathy # $VERSION = '0.06'; require Exporter; require DynaLoader; @ISA= qw( Exporter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adisky123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the meaning of set -e inside the script

Hi, I would like to ask about the meaning or purpose of set -e in the script bash, Does it mean if a wrong command in the script it will close or exit the script without continuation thats what happen if i set it in the terminal. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats error in code ??

if `egrep -c "safe_mode" /usr/local/lib/php.ini` - gt 0 && " `egrep -c "safe_mode" /usr/local/lib/php.ini` = "On" " then echo " Good " exit else echo " Not Good "; fi and (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong With This Code

Hi , iam new with sed command D:\bfx_db>sed -ne '/^SP2-*:/S/^\<.*\.*\>$/\2\p' reg.sql >>D:\out.log The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. Here my source file is reg.sql , i need the output in out.log Can anybody Help on this???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhdmehraj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong in my code

Code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; #Clears Screen $CLEAR=`clear`; print $CLEAR; i get the below error: Global symbol "$CLEAR" requires explicit package name at ./mutmg.pl line 6. Global symbol "$CLEAR" requires explicit package name at ./mutmg.pl line 7. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sophos
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can any one explain the meaning of the below code ?

while getopts :g:l:h: KEY $* do case $KEY in g) NAME=$OPTARG ;; l) LAB=$OPTARG ;; h) HD=$OPTARG ;; *) echo "Illegal option: $OPTARG" echo "$usage" exitStatus=1 exitGrace esac done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

##*_ - whats this?

Hi all, could you please tell me whats this stands ##*_ 0##*/ i knew this alone if some more is there please tell me that also. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong with this code

ls -ld | grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6 i need see the content... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of code

Hi Can anybody tell me what is the meaning of the following code? i=4 j=1 k=0 Specialy meaning of this line echo $? Specialy meaning of this line echo $? Specialy meaning of this line echo $? Thanks in advance Sas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the meaning

What the folowing statements means and whats the use of it ? expr $db_name + 2 >/dev/null 2>&1 Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question