Put a # in start of a specific line of a file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put a # in start of a specific line of a file
# 1  
Old 06-04-2012
Put a # in start of a specific line of a file

Hello Guys
Please let me know how to solve the below issue

I have a file like below

Code:

drop table R1416.ABC1 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC2 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC3 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC4 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC5 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC6 cascade constraints;

If I got a input like ABC4 the file will be modified like below

Code:
drop table R1416.ABC1 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC2 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC3 cascade constraints;
#drop table R1416.ABC4 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC5 cascade constraints;
drop table R1416.ABC6 cascade constraints;

A hash will be added at the start of the file
# 2  
Old 06-04-2012
Code:
awk '/ABC4/{$0="#" $0}1' file > newfile

# 3  
Old 06-04-2012
Code:
awk '/ABC4/{print "#" $0}1' infile >outfile

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-04-2012 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags
# 4  
Old 06-04-2012
Hi

Code:
$ sed '/ABC4/s/^/#/' file

Guru.
# 5  
Old 06-04-2012
Revoked ..

Last edited by jayan_jay; 06-04-2012 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Saw similar posts above, hence reverting ..
# 6  
Old 06-04-2012
Code:
perl -i.bak -lane 'if ($_=~/ABC4/){print "#$_";}else{print $_}' filename

You can see the backup file as filename.bak
# 7  
Old 06-04-2012
Thanks a lot everyone

Last edited by Pratik4891; 06-04-2012 at 05:47 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to goto specific line/function and start processing if user response is yes

In the bash below I am trying to run the script entire script including the ....(which is a bunch of code) and then in the run function if the user response is y (line in bold). then start processing from execute function. Basically, goto the # extract folder for variable filename line and start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatene files and put each line of files on a specific position ?

Hi, I have some files that i want to concatene and put each of lines of this files on a specific position : File1 AAAAAAA BBBBBBB CCCCCCC File2 DDDDDDD EEEEEEE FFFFFFF File3 GGGGGG HHHHHH IIIIII New file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apippo70
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Appending # to the start of specific line in a properties file

Hi, I have the following file, ABC.txt: ABC=123 DEF=234 FGH=345 Based on my validation and conditional processing it is observed that i need to comment or append # before DEF=234 so the same file ABC.txt should look as follows ABC=123 #DEF=234 FGH=345 Sorry if its a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

put a semicolon at the end of each line of a file

hi, Consider there is a file containing 200 lines. please let me know which command is to be used to put a semicolon at the end of each line. if no single command is there then how it can be achieved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: surjyap
1 Replies

9. Linux

where to put an application if i want to start it on start up

hi i want to know the way by which i put any file somewhere and it get s started when the system restarts or bots i mean whenever my system starts that application must also start thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shukla_chanchal
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question