Output of 2 commands into 1 file

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Output of 2 commands into 1 file
# 1  
Old 03-14-2007
Output of 2 commands into 1 file

How could you put the output of two commands into one file using a single command? For example put the output of a grep command and a sort command into one file together.

Here is another rough explanation of what I am trying to do;

output of
$ grep pattern file1
plus output of
$ sort file 2
merged together in a new file called file 3?
I want to do all this in a single command. Is it possible?
# 2  
Old 03-14-2007
I think it can done like

$ grep pattern file | sort file2 > file 3
# 3  
Old 03-14-2007
Thanks but it didn't work. It just did wrote the part after the pipe into the file. Here is another example of what I am trying to do;
put a directory listing and the date together into 1 file using a single command.
# 4  
Old 03-14-2007
Sorry...Even me new to UNIX commands...

I think for your second query the answer could be ...

$ ls -l > file.txt

this will put the file and directory names as well the access permissions and the timestamps into the output file.
# 5  
Old 03-14-2007
something like this,

Code:
( grep start file; sort file ) > outfile

# 6  
Old 03-14-2007
Thanks kumasaravana_s, what you say is correct but is not quite what I was after. Thanks for trying to help me. I wanted to for example show the output of the command date at the top of the file, followed by the the output of the command ls in the same file.
# 7  
Old 03-14-2007
Yes matrixmadhan, that is it. Thanks a lot.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arranging output for 2 commands

I am trying to run 2 sets of commands but want their output in a particular format. The 2 commands are : md5sum $WAR_DIR/$war and java -jar $WAR_DIR/$war | grep build.release.version | awk '{print $3}' The first command gives an output of 5f5261a33b92a36f80218cf14e8271ad ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare output from two commands

Hello folks, I would like ask for a help in one script I'm currently working on. Main goal is to compare size of file available on remote site and file already downloaded (check if downloaded file is complete and non corrupted). # Check if files were downloaded correctly for FILES in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script which telnets to a device, runs commands and prints output to a file

I am connecting to a device using telnet, I want my script to perform certain commands : ie- show device , show inventory..etc and write the output it sees from the terminal to a file. this is what I have got : #!/usr/bin/expect -- set running 1 spawn telnet <ip address> expect ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samantha123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting the multiple commands output to single file

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and have a question. I would like to redirect the output of multple commands to single file, From what I read from the bash manpage and from some searching it seems it cannot be done within the shell except setting up a loop. Is it? I am running all clearcase... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saku
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading UNIX commands from file and redirecting output to a file

Hi All I have written the following script: #!/bin/ksh while read cmdline do echo `$cmdline` pid="$cmdline" done<commands.txt =========== commands.txt contains: ps -ef | grep abc | grep xyz |awk '{print $2}; My objective is to store the o/p of the command in a variable and do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulparo
8 Replies

6. Solaris

How can I output all previous Unix commands in Solaris to a file??

Hello friends: I login to solaris with a username/Password and I can see quite a lot of previous I use dbefore, it accumulates a lot, I hope to output them into a Command.txt file as reference, not copy/paste 1 by 1, is there any way I can collect all commands in batch then put into a file, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysunnysunny
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output results of multiple commands to a file

Hi I want to output the results of multiple commands to a single file. I use simple Ping, telnet commands to check the connectivity to many servers. Can i execute all the commands and write the output to a file instead of executing them one by one? Thanks Ashok (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Logging commands and output

I'm looking for a CLI utility that will capture all the commands you type at the Solaris CLI (and their output) into a file. I'm sure it's called "scripter", but I can't find anything on a command called scripter. Does anyone know of a such a command? Your help will be greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine Two Commands Output

How i can combine output of two commands in one file.......i tried this but it is not working although each command is working good seperately..... head -1 filename | tail -1 filename i think there is problem with command concatenator? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Output all commands to logfiles ???

Dear Forum, My .cshrc settings are embedded in a massive jungle of code distributed all over the place, where finding anything is a "needle in a haystack" daily pain in the royal backside. Is there anyway, i can dump out every command and file executed to STDOUT after sourcing my .cshrc ??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question