Question on interrupts and user space app

Top Forums Programming Question on interrupts and user space app
# 1  
Old 10-19-2010
Question on interrupts and user space app

Can a user space application be asynchronously affected of its normal execution course by an interrupt?

How does the driver know which user space process to interrupt?

What are the functions in user space and kernel drivers that achieve this?
# 2  
Old 10-19-2010
1. yes, the kernel can issue asyncronous interrupts. In UNIX they amount to signals. The kernel also preempts processes in what is known as a process context switch. i.e., another process gets the cpu. Processes experience this as a SIGINT - interrupt signal.

2. Using aio or sockets involves asynchronous delivery of data. Normally these are under the surveillance of poll() or select().

Based on your question, you might want to understand a syscall. These are defined as numeric values which amount to function pointers into the true system API.

For example, write() is a system function. Only it is not called "write" in the kernel, it is a syscall. A vector. read(), open, select(), etc are all like this. Because of POSIX and probably common sense, the unix kernel people all decided it was a Good Idea to present common entry point names that get translated at run time into a vector or function pointer.

Next, you ask kernel questions. Often it seems. If that interests you, get a linux distro,
put it on an x86 box, download kernel source, and read:

Amazon.com: Understanding the Linux Kernel, Third Edition (9780596005658): Daniel P. Bovet, Marco Cesati Ph.D.: Books

It comes as an ebook at oreilly.com. This is your path to what you want to know.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Accessing the user space of one OS from within another.

Recently, I setup a dual boot on this PC. I can currently jump from Ubuntu 12.04 and 16.04. What I would like to be able to do is access the home directory of my 16.04 OS from within the 12.04, is that possible? I can mount the partition of the hard drive where 16.04 lives from within 12.04 but it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Space Question?

hi guys I was presented a LUN from a storage 85GB. fdisk -l shows 85GB space cool but after I formatted the partition using fdisk and mkfs.ext3 I only get 75GB space available why is that? why too many GB lost? thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

4. Programming

Signalling interrupts to user space

What is the simplest function I can use to signal an interrupt from kernel module to user space. I knw the usr app pid in my module. Also can someone explain the parameters in kill_fasync and send_sig (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
0 Replies

5. Programming

Getting notified in user-space on interrupts

Hi, I'm working on an AMD opteron running Linux 2.6.28.6 I want to preload a module specific register (MSR) with a value to have it overflow after a number of a specific event counts. As I understand, when the counter in the register overflows, an interrupt will be generated and handled by the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mylinuxforums
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Traps and Interrupts

Well, I don't know where exactly to ask this doubt so I'm asking in the newbie section. I was reading about traps and interrupts when I thought of traps as something that cease the control of the OS from the user and interrupts that cease the control yet provide support for multitasking. Am I right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

catching interrupts

hey i have been facing a problem,can you tell me if we can catch ctrl d in unix i have tried and sucessfully catched and disabled ctrl-c and ctrl -z but am not sure if we can do the same for CTRL-D, so got any clue mail on he forum or ...i mean c programming in Unix thats what i am working on (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: toughguy2handle
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Does unix use interrupts?

I'm a freshman here and I have a simple question. Does unix use interrupts which is like Dos? Are they the same? Thx.:cool: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank_M
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question