How to install AIX 5.3 on vmware

Operating Systems AIX How to install AIX 5.3 on vmware
# 1  
Old 08-10-2010
How to install AIX 5.3 on vmware

Hi,

I want to install AIX 5.3 for running DB2. As AIX cannot be installed on normal PCs without vmware, trying to install it on vmware. Could any one help me out how to do it.
Thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 08-10-2010
Hi.

I'm not sure what makes you think it can be installed on VMWare.

The only VM it supports is the type supported by IBM.

IBM Power Systems PowerVM
# 3  
Old 08-10-2010
How can I get power VM?
Do I need to buy it from IBM? and what is the difference b/w vmware and power VM?
I also want to know if I have power VM, how can I proceed to install AIX 5.3 on it.
# 4  
Old 08-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadg034
Hi,

I want to install AIX 5.3 for running DB2. As AIX cannot be installed on normal PCs without vmware, trying to install it on vmware. Could any one help me out how to do it.
Thanks in advance.

No, you can't install on intel system AIX, with vmware too.

you can find DB2 for windows(32), windows(64), linux...

IBM software downloads - Trials and demos search results

it works.

Last edited by john1212; 08-10-2010 at 03:55 PM..
# 5  
Old 08-10-2010
Quote:
How can I get power VM?
Do I need to buy it from IBM? and what is the difference b/w vmware and power VM?
I also want to know if I have power VM, how can I proceed to install AIX 5.3 on it.
Yes, you need to buy it from IBM, or one of their partners, perhaps.

VMWare is a product sold by a company of the same name.

PowerVM is provided by IBM to run on their POWER systems.

But you don't need PowerVM to run AIX:

simulator for aix

And as john1212 points out, you don't need AIX to run DB2.
# 6  
Old 08-10-2010
thanks.
I am a beginner and want to learn DB2. So to practice, I want to install DB2 9.5 on AIX 5.3(though I can run it on windows, want to do it on AIX only because most companies use it) . Is there any way that I can install DB2 9.5 on AIX 5.3 on a normal P
C (core i3 processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM and 1GB graphics card)
# 7  
Old 08-10-2010
Quote:
Is there any way that I can install DB2 9.5 on AIX 5.3 on a normal PC (core i3 processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM and 1GB graphics card)
By using PuTTY from your PC to connect to an AIX server, yes! Otherwise, no.

Many companies use AIX, not most.

If I want to learn Oracle, I have a perfectly good CentOS VM (VMware) with Oracle on it.

It's no different for learning Oracle, than learning it on Solaris, or on AIX (save perhaps for learning database tuning and performance).

For the purposes of learning it generally, Oracle is Oracle.

I can't imagine that DB2 is any different. Regardless of which OS you run it on.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Requesting procedure to install UNIXware7.1.4 on vmware workstation9.0.2

sir I want to practice sco Unix so I want to install unixware7.1.4 on VMware workstation9.0.2 so kindly suggest the procedure . I have downloaded all the iso images and floppy images and they are working fine. I have basic knowledge about Unix system so if you suggest something I can easily... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshforu3
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Help with Install KVM and Create Virtual Machines VMWare In PC

Help with Install KVM and Create Virtual Machines VMWare In PC. I want to lean KVM bios Logical Volume Management by KVM and other problem fix remotely.So,I want to practice on my PC.It,s Possible then how? Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: domaingood
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX Server - Need to set up VMWare

Hi experts, We are faced with a dilemma - we have a AIX server for educational purposes. We had some Oracle applications running on them. The management decided not to extend the warranty, so we are left with a server that we cannot upgrade immediately. I was wondering if we could set up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

4. Linux

VMware install options

I am loyal fan of VMware, it's a stable, powerful s/f but recently, i found that they add a new function - "Easy Install". it's like a rapiXX, and force you to use it everytime when you install.:wall: It should have a place to disable This function. are there any bodies can tell me how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookieabc
4 Replies

5. AIX

AIX on VMWARE

Hello Every body, I will receive a workstation HP, with a processor Intel corei5, with Windows already installer. I project to install : 1)a Vmware 2)a serveur aix 3)a redhat server ... etc. My question is : 1) What kind of vmware should I install to support installation of an AIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlaiti
3 Replies

6. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Unable to install ubuntu on vmware server

Hi I have downloaded vmware server 1.0.10 and ubuntu 9.10. Installed vmware server on my windows xp and created the disk space for Ubuntu. Now when i am running the virtual machine using the above downloaded iso image, I get the installation window. I selected 'Install Ubuntu' option and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kushal154
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to install Sun Solaris 10 inside VMware Workstation 5.5

Some members asked about this way, click Here u will find what u want (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sound Of Wisdom
1 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Can I Install AIX 4.3.3 on a PC?

Would it be possible to install AIX ver 4.3.3 on a Pc so I can Practice commands and become familiar with the system? Is there anything special that i would have to do? Thanks Frank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wumagic
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question