awk expression to find one or more zeros

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk expression to find one or more zeros
# 1  
Old 10-19-2006
awk expression to find one or more zeros

Hi,

We have a flat file with an account number column . Some of the account numbers are just zeros. e.g., 0, 000, 000000.
I am trying to pick out such records which have only zeros in their account number column (column #8). I tried an awk expression :
Code:
awk '{ FS=" "}{if ( match($8, "0+") ) printf "..........."}'

But this returns all account numbers which have one or more zeros along with those that have just zeros. e.g., 0003456, 09008765 are also returned, where as these are valid numbers.

How should I refine the regular expression, so that only records with zeros in the 8th column are returned?

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 10-19-2006
Code:
awk '{ FS=" "}{if ( match($8, "^0+$") ) printf "..........."}'

# 3  
Old 10-19-2006
Is the match() necessary? How about simply:
Code:
awk '$8 ~ /^0+$/ {print}'

# 4  
Old 10-19-2006
Hi Anbu and Glen,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I appreciate your help.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find regular expression for two files?

I have files: sum_<INPUT FILENAME>.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.csv and sum_details_<INPUT FILENAME>.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.csv I have no idea, what is input filename, but in the code I would like to catch them in case I process them in the loop above case statement for *.${Today}.*.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a value from an expression?

I have below expression from which I would like to output +m= value: "ginger bread.k +log ../output1 -format +m=3 0 +sleep 10 +suspend 10" The output value should be "3" Any suggestions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bskumarb4u
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to using Regular expression to find file.?

Hi Gurus, I need to identify the file with below format: ABC20110101.DAT ABCD2011010103.DAT If I use ABC*\.DAT, it get two file. I want to get file after "ABC' then number, the ".DAT". I tried ABC* but it doesn't work. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find filenames with three digits and add zeros to make five digits

Hello all! I've looked all over the internet and this site and have come up a loss with an easy way to make a bash script to do what I want to do. I have a file with a naming convention as follows: 2012-01-18 string of words here 123.jpg 2012-01-18 string of words here 1234.jpg 2012-01-18... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buzzman25
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Using awk to obtain minimum of each column (ignoring zeros)

Hi, I have a wide and long dataset which looks as follows: 0 3 4 2 3 0 2 2 ... 3 2 4 0 2 2 2 3 ... 0 3 4 2 0 4 4 4 ... 3 0 4 2 2 4 2 4 ... .... I would like to obtain the minimum of each column (ignoring zero values) so the output would look like: 3 2 4 2 2 2 2 2 I have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find, regular expression, anyway to simplify this find command?

Hello everyone, first post here, trying to learn scripting on my own and this forum as been really helpful so far. I made few little scripts working great but I m facing some problems with RE. I have a bunch of files in many subdirectories called *001.ext *002.ext OR simple *.ext or *01.ext... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove leading zeros for a hex number

Is it possible by using awk to remove leading zeros for a hex number? ex: 0000000011179E0A -> 11179E0A Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending zeros to numbers using awk

hi i want to append zeros to a given number ( varying digits). the total length of the output should be 10 digits. For example: 1)input is var=347 output should be NewVar=0000000347 2) input is var=123456 output should be NewVar=0000123456 i am able to acheive this using typeset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somi2yoga
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find expression with awk in only one column, and if it fits, print whole column

Hi. How do I find an expression with awk in only one column, and if it fits, then print that whole column. 1 apple oranges 2 bannanas pears 3 cats dogs 4 hesaid shesaid echo "which number:" read NUMBER (user inputs number 2 for this example) awk " /$NUMBER/ {field to search is field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't find the mistake in sed expression

Hi there, Can anyone help me find the correct expression for sed. I want to repace iface eth0 inet wathever with iface eth0 inet static Thanks for your help Santiago (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question