Solaris 11 Express NAT performance issues

Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 Express NAT performance issues
# 1  
Old 04-06-2011
Solaris 11 Express NAT performance issues

Hi all,

I decided to replace my linux router/firewall with Solaris 11 express. This is a pppoe connection directly to my server...no router boxes. I got everything setup, but the performance is terrible on the NAT....really slow. A web page that loads on the server instantly will take several minutes to load on my computer behind the NAT. Should also be noted that I disabled the firewall rules as part of my testing and there was no change in performance.

My NAT rule is the following:
map sppp0 192.168.0.0/24 -> 0/32

My routeadm output is the following:
Code:
routeadm 
              Configuration   Current              Current
                     Option   Configuration        System State
---------------------------------------------------------------
               IPv4 routing   enabled              enabled
               IPv6 routing   disabled             disabled
            IPv4 forwarding   enabled              enabled
            IPv6 forwarding   disabled             disabled

Routing services   "route:default ripng:default"

Routing daemons:
Code:
                      STATE   FMRI
                     online   svc:/network/routing/ndp:default
                   disabled   svc:/network/routing/ripng:default
                   disabled   svc:/network/routing/rdisc:default
                     online   svc:/network/routing/route:default
                   disabled   svc:/network/routing/legacy-routing:ipv4
                   disabled   svc:/network/routing/legacy-routing:ipv6

Anyone have any suggestions...or experience with Solaris 11 Express working properly in this fashion. I'm actually curious if this is a bug.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 04-07-2011 at 03:56 AM..
# 2  
Old 04-06-2011
Could this be a DNS issue?
# 3  
Old 04-06-2011
Thanks for the reply. No DNS issues. I've been able to do host lookups and they come back instantaneously .
# 4  
Old 04-08-2011
Found the problem...working on the solution

So I did some packet sniffing and determined that the problem is IP fragmentation. Here is my setup

<DSL_Modem>-<Linux Router>-<switch>-<wifi>-<macbook>
- this setup works fine, with no fragmentation or performance issues

<DSL_Modem>-<Sol 11 Router>-<switch>-<wifi>-<macbook>
- this setup has major packet fragmentation

<DSL_Modem>-<Sol 11 Router>-<switch>-<macbook>
- this setup has major packet fragmentation

I played with various MTU settings on the solaris servers internal NIC, but it made no difference so I tried a couple of things with the client box.

I determined the max MTU I could send from my macbook as 1464 without getting fragmentation by using:
ping -D -s 1464 <any internet ip>

Once I manually set my MTU down to 1464 instead of the default 1500 web pages are loading normally. So here's the problem...why do I have to manually set the MTU on the client macbook when I have my solaris server setup as a router. Is there some network related tuning I can perform on the server that will address these issues?

---------- Post updated at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:31 AM ----------

I've posted this problem in the network area because of the nature of the problem once I broke it down to fragments

Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Debugging NAT / prerouting issues (iptables)

Hello, Recently I discovered an issue with packet routing in the latest Android releases (4.4+ KitKat & Lollipop). It seems that the problem Android specific, but essentially it comes from the Linux kernel. I already filed a bug report to Google. You can see the details by searching for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vladislav
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Getcwd performance issues

Hello everyone, recently we have been experiencing performance issues with chmod. We managed to narrow it down to getcwd. The following folder exists: /Folder1/subfol1/subfol2/subfol3 cd /Folder1/subfol1/subfol2/subfol3 truss -D pwd 2>&1 | grep getcwd 0.0001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KotekBury
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ipf/ipnat NAT/port forward issues

I've been going crazy trying to get this working. Here's the situation: we have a Solaris 10 box that connects an internal network to an external network. We're using ipf/ipnat on it. We've added a couple of new boxes to the internal network (192.168.1.100, .101) and want to be able to get to port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spakov
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted. Here was my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk Performance Issues

Hi All, I'm facing an issue in my awk script. The script is processing a large text file having the details of a number of persons, each person's details being written from 100 to 250 tags as given below: 100 START| 101klklk| ... 245 opr| 246 55| 250 END| 100 START| ... 245 pp| 246... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgp_acc1
4 Replies

6. Solaris

raidctl performance issues

using the internal 2 drives mirror was created using raidctl on 100's of our servers . sometime when one drive fails we dont face any issue & we replace the drive with out any problem . but sometimes when one drive fails , system becomes unresponsive and doesnot allow us to login , the only way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Destination NAT using ipnat in Solaris 8

Hello People, Please can someone help me with destination IP address NAT and Port transalation using ipnat in Solaris 8. Scenario: Box A(192.168.100.1/24) and Box B (192.168.100.50/24) are connected phyically and logically(vlan) on the same network switch. Box A hosts an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarawachat
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris behind a windows NAT...

Greetings, and thank you for your time. I am cracking the whip to self-teach myself Unix because I think it will be the best platform for me to really open my mind and be creative. Sadly I lack anyone experienced in Unix to nag with questions, so you will be seeing a lot of me here I am sure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dustin
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question